Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #1

GFI and shore power

I have been looking for an answer to a GFI question and this looks like the best community out there to get an answer. Great help on so many of the posts.
So, as a newbie we have a Rockwood 2514G Premier Series. I dewinterized, got me a WDH, a few new camping things and off we went. Had a few glitches on the inaugural voyage but we are working on it. We always camp in Provincial parks with no hook ups. We had no trouble with the furnace or lights but the GFI was off and none of the plug-ins worked. Got home and plugged the trailer into the house outlet and voila! the plug-ins work. What am I missing? I thought the 12V would be converted so we could use these plug-ins while boondocking? Also, can I wire a solar panel right into the circuit breaker 12V leads?
Thanks
rbsiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! The plug ins won't work off the battery. As for the solar panel I would have no ideas. I am sure someone will come along and help you out before long.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Sorry.........12 volt items are completely different than 110 volt items. Unless you have a generator or shore line power like when you're hooked up at home, boondocking gets you camping with propane and 12 volts, and you want to limit your 12 volt consumption. Minimize your lights, water pump etc.

As far as solar powered.......I'll let someone else chime in on that one.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #4

Kinda What I Thought

I knew this was the place to be. Thanks for your comments. I suspected as much. I do have a generator so I'll power that up to use the plugs. Thanks again.
rbsiren is offline   Reply With Quote