Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #1

Gravel damage to wheel well

I've seen a couple posts about damaging the wheel well via tire blowout, but mine appears to have eroded simply from gravel (at least that's all I can think of). I have only had the camper a few months (228 Flagstaff) and it's only seen normal country gravel roads, nothing crazy. Yet both wheel wells have eroded into a crack letting in daylight, and more importantly water. Thankfully I noticed this on the first occurrence, so no water damage to the trailer.

Anyone else experience this behavior? This combined with constant dents in the front of the camper from gravel makes me wonder if these things are meant to ever leave a blacktop road. And why the heck would anyone buy a PUP for blacktop

In all seriousness, I'm pretty disappointed about having to fix this myself (probably do LineX / Rhino liner in both the front and wheel well). I thought a Berkshire Hathaway company would be better than this.
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #2

Most PUP are not meant to leave the blacktop. There are specially built off road trailers that have the diamond plate fronts and are built higher off the ground with over sized wheels. Hope you can get your PUP fixed up and back on (off) the road again soon.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

Thanks @caper. The dealer didn't mention any restrictions even though I was quite clear where my PUP would be going. Out of curiosity, what brands/models are made for off road? I've seen a Fleetwood (grey and steel), but since they went out of business had no interest in purchasing one.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #4

I don't remember the brand but have seen them at the RV shows. Some have a platform on the front where you could mount an ATV or a dirt bike. If you keep your present PUP for off road you might want to install some diamond plate to the front of the unit. You could also line the wheel wells with a heavy metal to protect the wooden floor.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #5

"...it's only seen normal country gravel roads..."
Normal country gravel roads are not normal.

Put great big ol' mudflaps on the TV, Cover the front of the pup with metal and line the pup wheel wells with steel or sheet metal. If you continue this type of use you should expect excessive wear and tear and excessive maintenance and repairs.
The pup is designed to be towed down paved roads.
Somerset took over Fleetwood/Coleman.
Somerset tent campers | Long-lasting construction
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
I thought a Berkshire Hathaway company would be better than this.
Berkshire Hathaway is known as a hands-off company. They usually don't mess with companies that are working.
FR was started by a guy with the intent of off-loading it to a BH-type company, I'm sure. Pure genius.

Still it doesn't explain away the cheapness of seemingly everything from FR these days. I find a new "surprise" almost every time I open our new trailer... Sigh.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
Thanks @caper. The dealer didn't mention any restrictions even though I was quite clear where my PUP would be going. Out of curiosity, what brands/models are made for off road? I've seen a Fleetwood (grey and steel), but since they went out of business had no interest in purchasing one.
This is the Flagstaff BR228TSC I have and love it. I have plenty of room for all the toys and gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG-20130428-00082[1].jpg
Views:	177
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	37584  
Attached Images

2013 days camped 16
wayne in florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #8

Talked to Forest River warranty department today. The wheel well damage was due to tire rub, not gravel (at least in their assessment in looking at pictures). Thus they will replace under warranty. Since I'm going to lift the camper in a few weeks, this shouldn't happen again. I'm back to being a "happy camper"
Old 08-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Incheon, S. Korea

That's great news. Their customer service is good!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel