Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

Gray and black water connections

Hi, been a travel trailer person and recently (8 months) bought a Rockwood HW276. Absolutely loving it, except for one thing. I haven't figured out the separate grey and black water connections. We camp at places with full hook ups, but I have to disconnect the sewer hose from the campground connection and put the garden hose in to dump the grey water. I really want to be able to connect both at the outlets from the camper. It would help, because as a travel trailer camper, I would open the valve for the black water, after dumping black, close the black water valve and open grey water. It helps rinse the black water hose.

After that long winded explanation, the question is, has anyone figured out how to connect both in this manner?

Thank you for any help you all can give, otherwise I am going to the plumbing store and try to figure something out!!!!
MarcnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #2

black n grey

I also have a hw276 with the same. i found this post from someone else and it looks to me that it will work ill be doing this over the weekend and ill post pics of it

Here's a easy fix for the grey tank- get a Valterra T01-0091VP
then a camco 39533. connect the 2 with a small hose (should be garden hose size i believe. then just connect the rinse cap to a Camco 39812. then connect your black sewer hose and y pipe to the drian. hope this works.

kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

Here's how it looks: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400896336.901753.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	951.3 KB
ID:	53126Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400896368.398006.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	656.6 KB
ID:	53127

Remember to remove the valve from the rinse cap and put silicone in the hole. Also, use a dremel with a cutting wheel to remove the center sprayer to allow more flow. Maybe make a spare as mine has broken before while draining- little too much stress.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #4

Thank you very much for the help! I have ordered the parts and will be working on it after this Memorial weekend camping trip!
Old 06-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #5

Seriously, thank you for the help. I am working on this today and I am taking it one step further. I am making custom length sewer hoses. Thinking to start with just 1 - 12" and 1 - 18". This way I can have the Y connection close to the outlets on top of the slinky. I will post pics when complete. I bought a few boxes of links to raise the camper at camp grounds with raised dump inlets (already ran into this problem 2 out of the 5 times we've taken the new PUP out).
Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #6

Here are the photo's including parts and tools. I am doing it this way so that the "Y" connection is closer to the camper. This way I don't need carry that much sewer hose and the gray water will flush out the large section of hose. I hope this helps anyone that should need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	54850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	54851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	54852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1375.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	54853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	54854  

Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #7

my setup

this is what i figured might work, not just if the grey will take long to empty but we ll see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140602_131535_resized.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	542.0 KB
ID:	54862
Old 06-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
Engineer of Crazy Train

You don't have to keep your black water hooked up all the time. Only need to do it when you dump. For me, that is when I am packing up. How big is your black tank?

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 Tablet using the FRF Android App!
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
this is what i figured might work, not just if the grey will take long to empty but we ll see.

Attachment 54862
I see you have what appears to be a Rhinoflex sewer hose. This is what we use on our galley:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39765-Rh...amco+rhinoflex

Or at least we will use this until I do OldCoot's sewer mod!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #10

choochooman that is what im planning when at a full hook. the tanks aee only 12 gal so the grey fills pretty fast.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #11

HSVBamabob what is OldCoots mods?

Old 06-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #12

This is just preference. I have managed for a while without having both hooked up, but when I dump the black, I like the ability to just pull the valve. I don't want to have to keep putting my gloves on to switch hoses in the campsite dump. Also, since the grey fills up faster, I pretty much dump my black each time the grey fills. I open the black, empty it, close the black, open the grey to flush the hose that just had the black in it till the grey is empty then close the grey. This makes it easier for me. However; I am not telling anyone how to setup their camper, please don't take it that way, just another suggestion of how I am going to do it. I have stolen so many great suggestions on here, I just thought I would offer one of my own. Plus I am working on some gas line things as well. That should be complete in about a week or two.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #13

What you guys did looks great, but I wonder why the tanks are not joined together with one central outlet, like on most TTs.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #14

mod guy I wonder that too. the thing that gets me most is they dont have a clean out valve like a tornado rinse. and the blank tank is above floor which makes it almost impossible to install one. yes I agree with marcnangel thos is my setup suggestions dont know it even works good. just a set up I was thinking. but ill take ANY suggestions cause the more brains are better. hope everyone has a great camp

Old 06-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #15

Mod Guy, I think it's because the black tank is higher than the grey water and the concern becomes mixing.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcnAngel View Post
Mod Guy, I think it's because the black tank is higher than the grey water and the concern becomes mixing.
Maybe, but its possible to get mixing buy having both BW and GW valves open at the same time on a TT joined setup (at least it is on mine). I have just never had them both open at the same time.

I would guess it may have more to do with the possibility of damaging the pipes, since a PU sits lower than a TT. I personally don't think that damage is likely here. This set up would drive me crazy (and may do so in the future if we ever decide to go back to a PU). I would have to figure out a way to connect these two drains into on central outlet. Less fuss to deal with and set-up, less stuff to carry (less fuss and less stuff=more time to relax and enjoy the trip!).
Old 06-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #17

Quote:
mod guy I wonder that too. the thing that gets me most is they dont have a clean out valve like a tornado rinse. and the blank tank is above floor which makes it almost impossible to install one. yes I agree with marcnangel thos is my setup suggestions dont know it even works good. just a set up I was thinking. but ill take ANY suggestions cause the more brains are better. hope everyone has a great camp

With the tank sitting above the floor, one side of it may be accessible from an adjoin cabinet or access panel. Is so, I would try to install a flush kit. You might have to use a right angle drill to cut the hole, but then the tubing could be routed to the sidewall for an external hook-up. Much the same way its done on a 5'er.

Let us know if you come up with something.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
HSVBamabob what is OldCoots mods?
I hard plumbed the galley tank at the rear of our camper to the front grey & black tanks so I only use one hose to dump all 3 tanks using individual valves. Galley tank valve is open all the time back at the tank itself and shut off up at the junction of the other two tanks. Yes, I added a valve. Total cost was just under $25 for valve, pvc, etc.

Tags
black, black water, water, water connection