Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

Grease the gears.

Hello all,

I have a 2015 flagstaff classic 625D pop up. I was doing pre season maintenance and noticed the whiffletree had no grease in it at all. I checked the manual, and it only says to lube the cable, which is fine. Should there be some grease on those gears? It is a bit noisy going up and down. Thanks in advance for the replies. Have a good night.

Thanks, mark
Dodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:26 AM   #2

Hi Mark,
are you talking about the winch motor? The Goshen lift system used on the Rockwood and Flagstaff popups do not have a whiffletree, I believe that is/was a Coleman lift part.
If so, the carefree winch motor on the newer pups is noisy and yes, IIRC the manual says it does NOT require grease.
There was an older model winch motor that did require grease BUT that motor was discontinued around 2013 or so. The old style motor was on our 2011 pup, it was quieter but did not last, we had to replace it after 5 years with the new model. Took awhile to get used to the noise it made.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #3

I have the newer replacement motor and it is noisy. I did put lithium grease on the gears as it just seems natural. I also oiled the right side which may have been a mistake. It may be some type of clutch mechanism as the roof now slides down about 1-2" after fully raising it. I feel that oiling that area might have caused this.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #4

Thanks everyone for the replies. I also just feel like gears need some grease, but I guess I'll go with the manual and the noise. Happy camping if this rain here ever stops.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #5

I see you are in silver spring MD, a neighbor. I am just north of you in catonsville but work in silver spring. Maybe we will see you at a campground sometime soon(if it ever stops raining LOL).
Old 05-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

Yes, we live more in the Wheaton area but have the SS mailing. Catonsville, I've been there quite a few times. I mtns bike at Patapsco park a lot. Haven't made it out yet camping. Have a pop up, which has been up for 3 weeks now in the driveway. Have a few mods I want to finish but can't get to the the outside ones with this rain. Well, hope to get caught up at a CG soon. Later,
Old 05-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

We just traded in our pop-up and now have a hybrid. We sometimes camp in the Hollofield area of Patapsco, five minutes from the house.
The problem with mods is, they are never done. There is always one more. The sun is "supposed" to come out on Sunday.......
Old 05-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #8

Funny. All these years we have been here, and I've ridden by all the campgrounds but never stayed yet. I do love the mods. Always something else. I like the pup but am looking forward to some hard sides someday. I hope it is sunny on Sunday. Our little one has his 4th bday party that day. Well, happy camping. Maybe we can meet up this season.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #9

That would be nice. And Happy bday to your little one.