Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #1

Help with water leak!

Last winter was the first time we had our pop-up and it was brand new. No one told me that I was suppose to winterize it. Well we had a few icy days opened the pop up a few months ago found leak and apparently the water filtration clear thing busted open. So what did I do? I bought the exact same one and installed it. I turned on water hook up and no leaks anywhere now except once the water filter gets full it slowly leaks again. I don’t know what to do? Why would it continue to leak at the top? Also I figured I would just take it off but it continued to leak. I drained all the water from toilet and sink and still water is coming from somewhere! It isn’t hooked up and I have no idea where this water is coming from. So basically the water filter plastic cleaning tank is leaking at top so I removed it. Water is still leaking from where it was and I have it being catches in a plastic container so it doesn’t ruin the floor in camper. Thoughts?
morrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrama View Post
Last winter was the first time we had our pop-up and it was brand new. No one told me that I was suppose to winterize it. Well we had a few icy days opened the pop up a few months ago found leak and apparently the water filtration clear thing busted open. So what did I do? I bought the exact same one and installed it. I turned on water hook up and no leaks anywhere now except once the water filter gets full it slowly leaks again. I don’t know what to do? Why would it continue to leak at the top? Also I figured I would just take it off but it continued to leak. I drained all the water from toilet and sink and still water is coming from somewhere! It isn’t hooked up and I have no idea where this water is coming from. So basically the water filter plastic cleaning tank is leaking at top so I removed it. Water is still leaking from where it was and I have it being catches in a plastic container so it doesn’t ruin the floor in camper. Thoughts?
Some pictures would help to see what your problem might be. What is the make and model of your filtration system?

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #3

Any ideas???

Reposting with pictures.... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3908.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	173209Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3909.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	173211Last winter was the first time we had our pop-up and it was brand new. No one told me that I was suppose to winterize it. Well we had a few icy days opened the pop up a few months ago found leak and apparently the water filtration clear thing busted open. So what did I do? I bought the exact same one and installed it. I turned on water hook up and no leaks anywhere now except once the water filter gets full it slowly leaks again. I don’t know what to do? Why would it continue to leak at the top? Also I figured I would just take it off but it continued to leak. I drained all the water from toilet and sink and still water is coming from somewhere! It isn’t hooked up and I have no idea where this water is coming from. So basically the water filter plastic cleaning tank is leaking at top so I removed it. Water is still leaking from where it was and I have it being catches in a plastic container so it doesn’t ruin the floor in camper. Thoughts?
Old 05-24-2018, 05:53 PM   #4

you may have cracked more than just the clear bowl when it froze. did you also replace the white top that the bowl screws into?
When I had my popup - I removed the filter altogether and used an external filter. I took the top part to Lowes and they helped me get fittings to connect the water lines where the filter went. No worries about a leaking filter ever that way.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

So that white top piece comes off and I can take it to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buy the exact part? Also where is all this extra water coming from? I drained the hose the toilet we are plugged in to electricity but the A/C isn’t on...
Old 05-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #6

lowes wont have the white piece, but I used the white piece to get fittings that would match the pipe ends. That way, I connected the pipes together and removed the white piece/filter completely.

you are saying that you are still getting water leaking from the white top? did you drain all the water from the water system? (like the water heater and open the low point drains to drain the water lines?) -
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Quote:
So that white top piece comes off and I can take it to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buy the exact part? Also where is all this extra water coming from? I drained the hose the toilet we are plugged in to electricity but the A/C isn’t on...

What you will do is take the white part to Lowe's, HD or any hardware store and they will fix you up with the parts to put in it's place. Then you go to Walmart, Camping World, RV dealer and get an external filter to connect to your hose for city water or filling the holding tank. Other things to look at is the hard plastic fittings, water valves and the toilet flush valve if you have one. The PEX tubing can handle freezing water. Another place to check is the water pump housing and the small screen filter between the FW holding tank and the water pump.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
lowes wont have the white piece, but I used the white piece to get fittings that would match the pipe ends. That way, I connected the pipes together and removed the white piece/filter completely.

you are saying that you are still getting water leaking from the white top? did you drain all the water from the water system? (like the water heater and open the low point drains to drain the water lines?) -

When the clear plastic thing screws into the “white” part. It leaks around the top once water fills up the plastic part. It’s like the water has a trickling overflow to it! The clear part was cracked and busted so that is what I replaced.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
What you will do is take the white part to Lowe's, HD or any hardware store and they will fix you up with the parts to put in it's place. Then you go to Walmart, Camping World, RV dealer and get an external filter to connect to your hose for city water or filling the holding tank. Other things to look at is the hard plastic fittings, water valves and the toilet flush valve if you have one. The PEX tubing can handle freezing water. Another place to check is the water pump housing and the small screen filter between the FW holding tank and the water pump.

I didn’t even think water could be coming from the water pump. We never turned it on but I’m sure the dealership did. It’s just a slow drip we have the pump turned off though.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

Quote:
When the clear plastic thing screws into the “white” part. It leaks around the top once water fills up the plastic part. It’s like the water has a trickling overflow to it! The clear part was cracked and busted so that is what I replaced.

Did you replace the O-ring gasket? If not that is why it's leaking. Whoever you bought the bottom part from should have reminded you. If you still have the original see if you can find the o-ring and check it for nicks or cuts before re-using.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #11

I would also inspect the water heater, water pump and all the valves for leak.

Personally I have that filter bypassed since day 1 because it looked like it will leak.
I use an external filter with a Y splitter so there's easy access to clean water outside for drinking/washing. I don't drink water that runs through the trailer.
Milk_Man is offline   Reply With Quote