Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #1

High Wall Black Tank Emptying Directions

Waiting for delivery of new Rockwood HW277 and need information on the best method for emptying the black tank. Although I've camped in a pop up for 12 years, this will be our first camper with a bathroom. I have been searching this site and others and can't find much info on the subject. I see that the gray water tank is separate and can not be used to flush the black tank. We often camp for 7 nights, and it is just the 2 of us. Do you think the 12 gallon capacity tank will be sufficient?
PlanetKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

No, sorry man. You'd need over twice that black capacity to get thru 7 nights. It's great for nighttime use and then just use the campground facilities when you're not dragging out of the bed.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Always Learning

Same with Barry. We had a 7 gallon black cassette in our pop-up. With using it (just for the pees) throughout the day for 3 of us, I'd have to empty it every other day.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

I disagree. I don't think I have ever gotten half full. You don't use as much as you think. Be sure to use rv toilet paper. And grab a rinsing wand for when your packing up and emptied your tank. Then put wand down toilet and run for about a minute or so.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I disagree. I don't think I have ever gotten half full. You don't use as much as you think. Be sure to use rv toilet paper. And grab a rinsing wand for when your packing up and emptied your tank. Then put wand down toilet and run for about a minute or so.
RV toilet paper, or the cheap thin stuff that you can test for it's dissolving properties.

http://youtu.be/BZCN5dTokJ0
Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #6

Directions still needed!

Thanks for the feedback, but what I am most interested in learning about is the full process for emptying the black water tank. The process appears different than a standard TT setup. Where can I find online detailed information about the procedure? Can I off load the contents into a blue jug and bring it to the dump during a week long trip to keep using the tank when filled?
PlanetKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #7

Not really that different from standard TT. make sure sewer hose is secure in drain. Then twist and lock sewer hose to black valve. Use disposable gloves. When all is set up, pull valve open and drain - takes about a minute. When "flow" has stopped, insert flush wand from up top and run water thru for a minute or two. Then close valve and walk the hose to remove the remaining water in sewer hose. All done.

Get some "drop ins" for Wally World. It will make life smell alot better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3720259932.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	39769

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2726354372.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	39770

Here are links to the above products that help in draining the grey water. This way you don't have to hold the hose when draining.

Camco 39533 RV Sewer Hose Rinse Cap
http://amzn.com/B000RFSARI

Valterra T01-0091VP 1-1/2" x 3/4" 90° Drain Connector
http://amzn.com/B0006MTREC

You should really be more concerned about your grey tank usage. 12 gallons in grey water goes FAST.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #8

I routinely camp 7 nights in mine, with 4 people in my camper, and with the "only at night" rule in place (ie go to the bathhouse during the day) we never fill our 7 gallon black water tank.

The grey water tank is another matter entirely, we fill that nearly daily.

It empties just like a TT.
dcfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank