Old 11-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Mntbiker View Post
I recently spent an entire night in Moab, Ut in my popup during a wind storm. Wind was constant 30-35 mph with 50 mph gusts. Only damage was no sleep that night. Canvas was popping and the camper top would sway and rattle. The side wall on the windward side was bowed in so much that it pushed a shelving unit over onto the floor.
I used to live in Moab and camped in quite a few dispersed camp sites, usually up on Big Flat area (Northwest of Hwy 313) or a few times in Yellowcat area (north-northeast of Arches), and I had a few of those 30-35 mph wind nights, and even one night where the weather report the next day reported wind gusts up to 60 mph. A few times I thought it was going to rip the roof off, but everything remained the same.

Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
I have the same year and pop-up you do.. Just camped this weekend in the Florida Keys.. 10 - 15mph with gusts of 25-30 were experienced overnight. No issues whatsoever. Just remember to either secure or put away your awning.

South Florida

2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
2014 Rockwood Freedom 2318g
Proud Father, Eagle Scout, EMT and Combat Veteran
nps_emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Just curious. Aren't the eye bolts installed at the 4 corners of the top by the manufacturer anymore. Came in handy a few times for high wind tie downs years ago on my pop up. I did say "years ago" though.
I would never tie down the top of a pop-up. The entire unit needs to move with the wind to some degree. If you tie the top down, the sides do not get the flex (energy absorption) they need. I have ridden out a severe t'storm on the St. Lawrence River with gusts exceeding 50 MPH with no issues other than the DW's minor bladder mishap.
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
I'd go get in my truck, LOL 40 mph and 5" rain in 3 hrs kept me up and on my toes searching for leaks and hoping the 42'er was ok. No leaks and all ok and with the stabilizer jacks it never even budged it but I was worried so was the dog. Woman sleep right thru it. LOL
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
We have the same year/ model also land have been through a few rain and wind storms with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Columbia Pa
2014 Rockwood 2318g
2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is online now   Reply With Quote