Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #11
Infractee

I agree with above, the yellow sticker *should be* the weight as it is leaving the factory "as built", this weight does not include water, battery or LP, only empty tanks.

In the factory tour pics that were just posted from the XLR plant tour they showed the scales at the end of the line where it is weighed just before rolling out the door.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #12

This is why I avoid buying trailers with a published CCC less than 2500 or so pounds. I figure that by the time I add options that'll leave me around 2000. I'll then add 1000lbs of stuff, leaving me a margin of 1000. You load those trailer tires to the max and run 65 down the road and you are just asking for trouble, IMHO.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #13

I apologize as I didn't read every response and this may have been said, but having owned a few popups in the day, and knowing how close they shave them today to appeal to those with small tow vehicles, I suggest you scale your camper. At a CAT scale, you pay more for the initial weigh but can do reweigh after on the same day for a few bucks each. So if you need to shift things, drain water, etc. you can figure out what you have with each manipulation. Back in the day, we were masters of efficiency with our popups which was a fine transition from tenting. Having moved up into TTs and big TVs, I don't know if we could regain the discipline! Happy camping and good luck!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #14

Dealer explained it to me as the weight the trailer is as it left the factory and was loaded onto a truck. If a tank and/or battery is included, the weight would also be part of the weight; however, they never ship tanks full of propane.
That weight is also spread out onto the axle(s) and tires, as well as the tongue weight.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

ANYTHING with weight that is added to the unit after the unit leaves the factory has to be added to the dry weight number.

Examples would be.
Battery / batteries.
Propane added to the tanks.
Fresh water if your going to travel with it.
Any and all items you put in the unit.
Spare tire and mount.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I agree with the above. Hard to do before you buy, though. I expect very few dealers would be willing to weigh them before the sale but maybe I'm wrong.

Oaklevel, I thought the tongue weight was included in the camper's GVWR which is why you should weigh the truck and compare connected and then just the truck alone so you can math to get the camper's actual weight.
You are right I was off to work this AM & should have written my post better. What I was trying to say was when weighing on a CAT scale some of the trailer weight is on the tongue. So the axle weight is not the total weight of the trailer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
You are right I was off to work this AM & should have written my post better. What I was trying to say was when weighing on a CAT scale some of the trailer weight is on the tongue. So the axle weight is not the total weight of the trailer.

Thumbs up.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by davido_ View Post
So my propane tanks are included in the yellow sticker weight (but there are conflicting estimates as to whether they are counted as full, at 38 pounds each, or empty at 18 pounds each).

My batteries are not included in the yellow sticker weight (2xGroup 24 @ 55# each).

My AC (85#) is not included in the yellow sticker weight because I had it installed by the dealership a month after taking delivery of the trailer.
That is basically it. The yellow sticker is what the unit weighed when it rolled off the line.

As was said. The best and only true way to get a handle on it now is to bring it to the public scales and see what it weights.

It is easy for the weight of stuff to really add up quick. So you need to be careful.

Good luck.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #19
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
That is basically it. The yellow sticker is what the unit weighed when it rolled off the line.

As was said. The best and only true way to get a handle on it now is to bring it to the public scales and see what it weights.

It is easy for the weight of stuff to really add up quick. So you need to be careful.

Good luck.

Vin.

Remember batteries, propane and water in the hot water heater pack on quite a bit of weight right off the bat.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 01-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #20

Dry is the weight of the trailer as it sets without it loaded regardless of what options you have. It changes as you bolt stuff on it or add Non removable items. That tag is from the factory weight without all your add on stuff.
GVWR is the max weight you can haul including cargo weight. Subtract the dry weight (as you add stuff to the trailer) from the GVWR and that's what you can Safely haul in cargo. Weigh your trailer at a scale with NO items in it as much as possible and UNHOOK from your tow vehicle to get your dry weight. And remember, regardless of the total GVW you only want 10%-15% tongue weight for towing for no sway.

Tags
weight