Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #1

How do I get slime from inside the water tank?

I used my camper over the weekend for the first time this year.I ve got some sort of dark slick slimy material in the tank.I was draining the tank and it didnt want to drain with the valve open.I removed the drain valve itself and noticed some slimy material inside the drain valve.Once the drain valve was removed the tank began draining.I have run several gallons of water thru the tank and occasionally small parts of this black gunky looking stuff will ooze out of the low point drain hole.This stuff only appears to be on the bottom of the tank as the bottom of the tank looks darker than the rest of the tank.How do I get this gunk out of the tank? Is there something that will dissolve it? I dont plan on drinking any water from this tank but I would like to use it to wash dishes,possibly to cook with,etc.I did read where I can treat with bleach to kill the organisms but the material in there is slowing down the draining of the tank itself and I would like to get this corrected.
DavidnLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #2

I take it you mean the fresh water tank has dark slimey stuff in it

this is what I would do - this maybe the right or wrong idea but each person has a way of doing stuff.

My suggestion is to remove the house water filter and fill the tank with bleach (maybe 1/2 gallon) and the rest water and let it sit for a few days to dissolve the slime and then flush it out real good multipele times and see what you have in the tank at that point.

I would not run any of this thru the camper so you will need to use the low point drain to drain it out - if this help or doesnt work then my suggestion to either get a new tank installed or have the tank removed and cleaned with a pressure washer or something that will put some pressure in the tank to clean it out good.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That's a lot of bleach and I'd imagine that should just about kill any slime and algae growing in that tank. The only thing you might want to do is to fill up the tank only half way and drive around for a bit to let it slosh around. Then fill up the rest of the way and let it sit. Hopefully it drains out afterwards.

Depending on how much slime, you might need to eventually drop that tank to get the stuff out.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
That's a lot of bleach and I'd imagine that should just about kill any slime and algae growing in that tank. The only thing you might want to do is to fill up the tank only half way and drive around for a bit to let it slosh around. Then fill up the rest of the way and let it sit. Hopefully it drains out afterwards.

Depending on how much slime, you might need to eventually drop that tank to get the stuff out.
if he has alot of green in the bottom as suggested - I would want to kill it good
He could always get some liqued pool chlorine as well from a pool store but not sure what it would do the side of the camper if he spilled it versus what the bleach would do.

good idea on driving around a bit to allow it to slosh around
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely want to kill it!

I wonder how this was caused? David, can you tell us how long the water was in the tank and was it well-water or chlorinated city water? Just curious.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Definitely want to kill it!

I wonder how this was caused? David, can you tell us how long the water was in the tank and was it well-water or chlorinated city water? Just curious.
I bought the camper new in late October of 2011.It was winterized at the dealer at the time I picked it up and I did not use the water system the one trip I had it out last year.Afterwards it was kept parked in my garage over winter.I used the camper this past weekend but once again did not use the water system.I did open the valve to drain it but very little came out.When I returned home I saw where I could actually remove the entire drain valve which I did.Upon examining the removed valve I noticed a slimy material in the drain valve opening so I removed it.I could see a little black material on the ground where the water drained out and could see some black particles through the hole that I removed the drain valve from near the bottom of the tank.I actually drove about a 170 or so miles this past weekend with the camper but I am not sure how much water was actually in the tank since I got back and then added more water to see if that would help in draining.The bottom of the tank still looks darker than the rest of it. Most of the water coming through the tank now is very clear however the bottom of the tank still looks darker than the rest of the tank and some slimy gelatin-like material occasionally hangs up near the drain hole and slows the drainage down.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #7

I would suggest getting some nice, hot water to put in with the bleach. There's nothing more convincing to stubborn water issues than some steaming hot water! Good luck with it.
ehannesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #8

1/2 cup of bleach
into 3/4 full water tank

then
Quote:

drive around for a bit to let it slosh around

then
let it sit for 24 hrs
and drain

from now on when storing
put 1 tablespoon bleach into water tank
that small amount
will keep THINGS clean for a while
longer periods require more

not rocket science
but
I test and treat well waters
Equip Tec for AAAA Pump Co

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I think the concentration numbers are 1/4 cup of bleach to every 15 gallons of water, so a 30 gallon fresh water tank should take 1/2 cup of bleach.

I would be afraid that too much bleach concentration could damage the tank......a 1/2 gallon of bleach in a 30 gallon tank is a right high concentration.

I always drive my trailer around after adding the bleach and filling the tank with water to get it to slosh on the upper portions of the tank.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidnLondon

I bought the camper new in late October of 2011.It was winterized at the dealer at the time I picked it up and I did not use the water system the one trip I had it out last year.Afterwards it was kept parked in my garage over winter.I used the camper this past weekend but once again did not use the water system.I did open the valve to drain it but very little came out.When I returned home I saw where I could actually remove the entire drain valve which I did.Upon examining the removed valve I noticed a slimy material in the drain valve opening so I removed it.I could see a little black material on the ground where the water drained out and could see some black particles through the hole that I removed the drain valve from near the bottom of the tank.I actually drove about a 170 or so miles this past weekend with the camper but I am not sure how much water was actually in the tank since I got back and then added more water to see if that would help in draining.The bottom of the tank still looks darker than the rest of it. Most of the water coming through the tank now is very clear however the bottom of the tank still looks darker than the rest of the tank and some slimy gelatin-like material occasionally hangs up near the drain hole and slows the drainage down.
I wonder if the dealer drained the tank of enough water? A bit of water in there over the winter won't hurt if it freezes but it could become a breeding ground when it warms up; especially if the water was not chlorinated.

Since I use well water both at my home and at the state parks we visit, I try to drain the tank between trips. I like Mountainman's recommendation to add a Tbsp of bleach between trips.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I would take well water over a town or city water anytime to drink, but municipal water has the advantage when it is going to sit for any extended period of time. That chlorination should keep things from growing in a camper fresh water tank.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
Flagstaff 22FBS

One of the last things we do, when packing up to go home after a camping trip, is open the pit cock drain valve on the water tank. We leave it open to drain all the way home. The water sloshes around and pretty much completely drains out. If you are traveling a ways to get home, when you make your first "pit stop" it should be finished draining. You can close the valve at that time and be done with it.

Well water is notorious for that slimy stuff after sitting in a holding tank for extended length of time. As "mtnguy" stated, the chlorine in "city" water helps to prevent it.

Please go easy on the bleach. That stuff is surprisingly strong and a little goes a really looong way.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #13

as many pool owners know ... green algie is ok and workable, but black is definately a problem situation. House bleach is not as concentrated as pool shock, and this definately sounds like you will have to shock your tank. Add to this some liquid algicide, mix up the concoction before you pour it in, drive around a bit like everyone says, but then continue to leave it in your tank for a few good hours, allowing the chemicals to work, and to kill off the bacteria. Its most likely that the water that has gone bad in your tank was just a small amount of residual water left there over the winter, or from the previous owner. Once this is all done ... rinse, rinse rinse, by filling and draining your tank numberous times .. making sure not to run the chemicals through the rest of the plumbing in your trailer. This should solve your problem.
Before you do all this tho ... make sure you are dealing with an algie problem .. not some dirt that just got into the tank from some campsite well that was overtaxed ... and was pushing dirt and guck out through the fresh water fillup hose.

hope this helps .. d-mo
Old 04-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.I put about 3 oz of bleach in with some water in the tank yesterday.I filled the tank and let it sit for a few hours.Then drained it somewhat and added more water as I was afraid I might had the bleach mix too strong.I let it sit overnight and went out and checked it again.It looks like the bottom of the tank is almost free of the black material.I would guess there are only two or three spots showing on the bottom of the tank now and none arent any bigger than a quarter.I drained the tank empty and those spots are still there.I also filled the tank again and ran fresh water from the hose through it.I havent hooked the camper up and driven it around yet as I havent had time to do that.I plan on closing the valve back and adding more bleach and water and letting it sit overnight again.I will more than likely drive it around tomorrow some just to make sure all tank parts get covered and to loosen the remaining stuff up.I think my tank is about 26 gallon so I plan on adding about 2 ozs. of bleach and filling the tank about 3/4 full for an overnight sit.Then more than likely driving it around tomorrow some time.
Once I do this would it be best for me to just drain the tank completely and let it sit empty until I plann on using it again?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

to strong will not hurt anything ! for thirty gallons id use 1/2 to 3/4 cup !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidnLondon
Once I do this would it be best for me to just drain the tank completely and let it sit empty until I plann on using it again?
Drain the bleach mix. Then fill again with fresh water and drain again. If I don't plan to use the trailer for a couple of weeks, I leave the fresh water tank empty.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

drain your hw heater after each trip to ! unless your going to use it within a few days again.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #18

Household ultra bleach is 6% calcium hypochlorite. Liquid pool shock will be 10 or 12%. If u choose liquid pool shock make sure that it doesn't have any other additives such as copper sulfate or other algecides. I personally think algecide is unnecessary for sanitizing and killing any algae.

You won't hurt your plastic tank even with full strength 12% calhypo. The rubber seals, washers etc in your plumbing (and hot water heater) however are another story. If any of the 'shocked' water gets pumped through your system be sure to flush with straight water thoroughly.

For a typical swimming pool, 3 quarts of 6% bleach will supply about 5 parts per million of free chlorine in 18000 gallons of water. Enough to maintain clean water for 24 hours. I used to use 6% bleach for my pool until Katrina shot bleach prices up. I shock (to kill algae) with 15-20 parts per million of chlorine. What I'm trying to say is that 1/2 cup, 1 cup or even more will kill any algae and nasties with a a short soak. Some agitation of the tank will loose thing up to drain away.

Now I'm even more eager to get my A126 out and give it a good going over. The tank is something else to check out.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote