Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

how does the dinette slide work?

Hey all,

I am heading up tomorrow to take a look at an 08 Forest River Premiere 2514g camper. Having owned a camper already, I have a pretty good idea what to look for in general terms of leaks, seals, canvas, exterior, undercarriage, operation of all appliances, check electronics, and functionality of the raising and lowering mechanism and so on.

The one thing that I am not familiar with is a slide. Never had one, never opened or closed one, so I was wondering if anyone can help explain some specific things to look for and how exactly they operate? Are they counter balanced or does the upper portion of the slideout also provide support?

Thanks for any help.

Eric
wolf_rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #2

The slide on mine sits on a bar that has teeth along the top, and the slide out "box" bottom is bolted to the mechanism at the ends. It is then pulled in by a motor with a gear drive pulling in along the teeth. the box ramps up or down along the edge of the stationary floor to give a flat surface once extended. Wider slideouts such as one with a couch and the dinette have two of these motors and tracks, while most bedroom slides have one. They operate on 12 volts DC, even when plugged into 110vAC, via the converter. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #3

Also.....have them physically show you where the fuses are for the slide outs, AND how to MANUALLY close them in an emergency if necessary. Also, the top of the slide does nothing- it's all adjusted and pulled and pushed at the floor level.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #4

The dinette slide is really simple. There are two latches you undo then simply pull the slide out, the there are some locking pins inside that secure it. As long as it slides in and out easily there shouldn't be any problems. There are basically large drawer slides that support and slide the unit in and out. Good luck.
LionInTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

You might look at the seals - those are the rubber bits around the edges of the slide. They should be flexible and soft and not torn. From the inside of the unit look along the sides of the slide and over the top - you shouldn't see daylight. Bring a little step stool/ladder (a good idea anyway when you are checking a unit), so from inside the unit you can look at the top of the slide.

If the dinette slide has appliances lights power, there will be a cable of wires that moves in and out as the slide moves. Use the mag flashlight you bring with you to inspect that wire snake to see that it is in good shape, doesn't look like there are raw areas.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #6

SORRY, I didn't realize you were discussing a pop up or a hybrid. My mistake!