Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #1

How full is my water tank?

Has anyone invented a device to tell you how full your tank is when boondocking? We are on our 2nd season with our Rockwood Freedom 2318g PUP and are venturing out on some boondocking trips. This was the first trip and I was worried about overfilling the tank with the potable water hose from the park spigot so I stopped early— way too early as we didn’t even have enough to fully flush the winterizing stuff out. The dealer told us to look underneath and make sure the bladder wasn’t bowing because that means it’s too full but IDK maybe I’m looking in the wrong place that seems kind of hard to tell. I was thinking of some kind of external gauge that’s linked to a float indicator or something? Any ideas?
Pom_Mom1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #2

your tank should have an over flow that tells you when it is full with out hurting a thing. Fill it till water comes out then stop.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #3

Thanks Kimber45 the dealer warned us not to do that because it was too much strain on the brackets that hold the bladder...
Old 05-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom_Mom1993 View Post
Thanks Kimber45 the dealer warned us not to do that because it was too much strain on the brackets that hold the bladder...
I’d tell the dealer if it falls out YOU (dealer) will replace it under warranty. Ridiculous.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

LOL fair! Newbie here obviously!
Old 05-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

2nd season with your Rockwood huh?

How long is your warranty?
Did the dealer show you where the overflow vent is?

Anyone else on here with a Rockwood Freedom Pup that can confirm this bladder too full story?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
Grammar Pedant

My fresh water tank was translucent and easily seen. I would just take a knee and look to see where my water level was. So, you could use that to complement the idea given above by just filling until it overflowed.

Another option would be to use 5-6 gallon water cans. Fill one. Then pour into your tank. Rinse and repeat and you can meter how much water it going in.

Another option would be to use a water meter on the hose. Here is an example of such a meter, though I have not used one myself. Anyway, you can simply watch in real time how many gallons are flowing.

So, there you go. You have four options. Fill to overflow. Watch the tank by viewing the water line on a translucent fresh water tank (if you have one). Use known volumetric water cans to meter the water. Use a meter on the filling hose.

The only ways to know how much water is remaining is to either do the eyeball check on a translucent tank or to measure the waste water (ensuring that you capture grey water in a tank). If you started with 20 gallons of fresh water and your 10 gallon grey water tank is about half full ... then you have around 15 gallons of fresh water remaining.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by My17Ram View Post
I’d tell the dealer if it falls out YOU (dealer) will replace it under warranty. Ridiculous.
It is ridiculous but it is true. There have been many pictures of tanks falling out on this forum. If I was traveling with mine I would not fill it till I got to my destination or close.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #9

Been camping for over 10 years, always filled fresh water before we leave. Never had problem, and in Minnesota there are alot of roads
M & A Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom_Mom1993 View Post
The brackets can let go if tank is filled completely and travelling....here is a an example.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-160198.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #11

Water tank

Can you not use the monitor panel? Or, don’t trust it
elemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
My fresh water tank was translucent and easily seen. I would just take a knee and look to see where my water level was. So, you could use that to complement the idea given above by just filling until it overflowed.

Another option would be to use 5-6 gallon water cans. Fill one. Then pour into your tank. Rinse and repeat and you can meter how much water it going in.

Another option would be to use a water meter on the hose. Here is an example of such a meter, though I have not used one myself. Anyway, you can simply watch in real time how many gallons are flowing.

So, there you go. You have four options. Fill to overflow. Watch the tank by viewing the water line on a translucent fresh water tank (if you have one). Use known volumetric water cans to meter the water. Use a meter on the filling hose.

The only ways to know how much water is remaining is to either do the eyeball check on a translucent tank or to measure the waste water (ensuring that you capture grey water in a tank). If you started with 20 gallons of fresh water and your 10 gallon grey water tank is about half full ... then you have around 15 gallons of fresh water remaining.

Good luck.
I’d go with the volumetric method-fill up with the 5-gallon jugs. I thought about the little water meter and although they are inexpensive online, the reviews were basically making it out to be a piece of junk. Plus, who doesn’t benefit from having a plastic Jerry jug?

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 w/Timbrens
5.3L V8 3.42 Gears Reg Cab 8' Bed
Curt Trunnion WD Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemoine View Post

I don’t have a monitor panel that I know of (rockwood 2318g)?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterops1 View Post
I’d go with the volumetric method-fill up with the 5-gallon jugs. I thought about the little water meter and although they are inexpensive online, the reviews were basically making it out to be a piece of junk. Plus, who doesn’t benefit from having a plastic Jerry jug?

Agreed — I just ordered a 7 gallon one off amazon. Now just need a funnel and I’m set
Old 05-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
2nd season with your Rockwood huh?

How long is your warranty?

Did the dealer show you where the overflow vent is?

Anyone else on here with a Rockwood Freedom Pup that can confirm this bladder too full story?

The only overflow I know of is where you put in the hose.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
Scoundrel

I believe the Rockwood 2318g is a pop up and would not come with a monitoring panel. To the OP, I would find the fresh water tank which would be behind the wall where the fill tube is located (perhaps under a bench seat) or under the camper below the fill tube. These are nice campers and should hold 20+ gallons of water. Your fresh water tank plus a couple 5 or 7 gallon containers would provide you with plenty of water while boondocking for a several days.

Good luck.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I believe the Rockwood 2318g is a pop up and would not come with a monitoring panel. To the OP, I would find the fresh water tank which would be behind the wall where the fill tube is located (perhaps under a bench seat) or under the camper below the fill tube. These are nice campers and should hold 20+ gallons of water. Your fresh water tank plus a couple 5 or 7 gallon containers would provide you with plenty of water while boondocking for a several days.

Good luck.

Thank you!
Old 05-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #18

fresh water tank

Wy not fixing the real problem?
That stupid blader BRAKET!
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemoine View Post
Since this thread is in the Tent Camper/Popup section of the of the Forum and the OP has a popup, many popups don't come with a monitor panel because they don't have gray and black tanks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #20

Wow, This is my first tent trailer with an onboard water tank. Thanks for the pointer on not filling until I get on site.
DARCYPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank