Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 09:15 PM   #21

I was just away for a week and my Salem CruiseLite had to be on generator every day. I didn't know (at the time I purchased) to disconnect the negative lead on the battery while in storage so after a test run with electric and a week in between, I went on a weekend trip. By Sunday morning the battery was totally dead. How did I know? The refrigerator check light was on and clicking. Gas was good but the battery was not. After taking it off and charging it back up, I headed back up to Oshkosh where I had left the camper for the airshow. As long as I ran the generator for an hour or so each day up there, I had no problems.

I've read comments about disconnecting the propane alarm as well. I guess this drains a bit of power off the battery.
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:22 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuckely View Post
I was just away for a week and my Salem CruiseLite had to be on generator every day. I didn't know (at the time I purchased) to disconnect the negative lead on the battery while in storage so after a test run with electric and a week in between, I went on a weekend trip. By Sunday morning the battery was totally dead. How did I know? The refrigerator check light was on and clicking. Gas was good but the battery was not. After taking it off and charging it back up, I headed back up to Oshkosh where I had left the camper for the airshow. As long as I ran the generator for an hour or so each day up there, I had no problems.

I've read comments about disconnecting the propane alarm as well. I guess this drains a bit of power off the battery.
Just install a battery disconnect switch.
Way easier than dealing with a cable.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:04 PM   #23

I'll check on having that done. Thanks for the tip!
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:57 PM   #24

I think that a second battery will be s must for you but it does add tongue weight.

And/or Plan b- rent a 2000w genny.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:18 AM   #25

Solar Charging is always good, I suppose not if you store it indoors and only camp under heavy shade. For the rest of us, depending upon use, 100 watts, 200 watts or even 400 watts may be in order. Renogy.com or my favorite, WindyNation.com are the best way to go if you have the moderate DYI skills to install it your self.

Dry camping, generator or not, I would not go without at least two good batteries, INSTALLED. Although, I admit, since we went all LED, went to a low current draw, Fantastic ceiling exhaust fan and use a good stove top percolator, I am really not sure how long one battery might last. And although I am a big SOLAR fan, I LOVE THAT WE CAN FIRE UP THAT ONAN 4000 watt Gen and run THAT AIR CONDITIONER when I want it.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:20 AM   #26

I have seen several high dollar motorhomes that use a Honda 2000 just to keep the batteries up. Saves running the onboard generator. I guess the little gas generator saves noise and vibration from the on board generator. And is more friendly for the neighbors. Solar would work too.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post

Dry camping, generator or not, I would not go without at least two good batteries, INSTALLED. Although, I admit, since we went all LED, went to a low current draw, Fantastic ceiling exhaust fan and use a good stove top percolator, I am really not sure how long one battery might last. And although I am a big SOLAR fan, I LOVE THAT WE CAN FIRE UP THAT ONAN 4000 watt Gen and run THAT AIR CONDITIONER when I want it.
X2- good to have the genny (peace of mind).. don't plan to use it. Going to look into the Fantastic fan.. love the idea it is 12V and controlled by a stat...

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
The one reply about damaging your A/C capacitor by running off generator.
I had a motorhome with a 6500 watt genny....
I am not sure what Billybass was trying to say. With a proper generator sized for your AC, you can run the AC off a Genset for YEARS if you can afford the fuel. The A/C has no idea of whether it is running off a genset or shore power. Also there is no reason the condenser would suffer any damage. Actually a good running genset puts out a BETTER sinewave and stable voltage than you get at home (and far better than most RV parks.)
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickiedooFlagman View Post
I have seen several high dollar motorhomes that use a Honda 2000 just to keep the batteries up...
Yep. X2. And considering its lower power rating. IMO, it is the best dollar per watt genset made. (audio noise level, RF noise levels, maintenance, ease of start, fuel consumption, and more) dollar per watt. I own two. I don't use them on the RV since we have a the onboard ONAN (also a nice genset) we use .
Old 08-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just install a battery disconnect switch.
Way easier than dealing with a cable.
Only problem is that kills everything. Best bet is to add a second battery. Yes, it will add about a 100 pounds of tongue weight but that can be balanced out if need be most of the time. Also change your lights to led bulbs, at least the ones you use most. They only use about 1/10 the power of regular incandescent bulbs. Another thing many don't think of is shut your hot water heater off when you don't need it. I turn mine on in the evening after dinner and shut it off when I am done. Why keep it hot all day if you are not there or don't really need it. I don't think I would mess with the propane alarm. I never checked it but doubt if it uses much. I hate to recommend disconnecting safety items.

Here is a link to the led bulbs I used. Granted they are not real cheap but you may not need to replace all your lights, just the ones you normally use. They can save a lot of battery power, especially if you have kids that forget to turn lights off like most do.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6280_123950170

One more thing many don't think of is the TV antenna booster. Only need it when you are watching the TV.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
Yep. X2. And considering its lower power rating. IMO, it is the best dollar per watt genset made. (audio noise level, RF noise levels, maintenance, ease of start, fuel consumption, and more) dollar per watt. I own two. I don't use them on the RV since we have a the onboard ONAN (also a nice genset) we use .
I own the 3000 watt is and if the 2000is is anything like it, it is a great unit!

However if money is an issue AND you are only going to use it to charge your batteries you might want to look at this.

I would think that if you have 2 or 3 batteries you could probably get away with running it for just a couple of hours every second or third day. I would hook it to a battery charger, not using the converter. You could charge the batteries much quicker that way I think. If I am wrong I am sure someone will speak up.

Jim
Old 08-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #32

At first, I had to pay $12 each for the flat directional LED's. When I found those 10 for $18.99 bulbs on Amazon ($1.89 per) I decided they were 90% as good And AMAZING FOR THE PRICE. And folks that's cheaper than automotive bulbs at Autozone.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
At first, I had to pay $12 each for the flat directional LED's. When I found those 10 for $18.99 bulbs on Amazon ($1.89 per) I decided they were 90% as good And AMAZING FOR THE PRICE. And folks that's cheaper than automotive bulbs at Autozone.
$12.00 each? Ouch, that would hurt! I just put 16 bulbs in this past week. At that price I think I would consider another battery first.

Jim
Old 08-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #34

Go Solar

If you want to boondock, then read this blog. I put a 100 watt panel, and mine came with 2 batteries. Works great. I never worry about by batteries either camping or storing, because they are always charged. Remember, that discharging your batteries more than 50% shortens their life dramatically. Only down 80% is better. This blog will give you more info than you want, but is well worth the read.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #35

Just for some info that it seems some folks are not aware of. Discharging a battery below 50% does not hurt a thing. However, sulfating crystals will form after setting for several hours or days. These crystals can usually be deleted with overcharging (to ~16V for ~24 hours) while monitoring water and temps. Permanent crystals will form after a few days and certainly weeks when setting at less than full charge. So the real secret chemically is to bring the battery back to a float charge as soon as possible after a large discharge.

Added later: Also. Another problem that batteries can have is "stratification". Left stratified and it will cause sulfating. This only occurs on batteries that are setting still for long periods during charging. Only the upper part of the cells get fully charged and then the lower plates sulfate. So if your battery sets in a still RV/Trailer, it is helpful to tip it from side to side a couple times during the charging cycle. (maybe not easy)
Old 08-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #36

Jim, what do you use to monitor the temp on your battery?
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Jim, what do you use to monitor the temp on your battery?
I don't normally. However, one of those inexpensive infrared temp guns would work fine. General Tools Energy Audit Laser Temperature Infrared Thermometer with 8:1 Spot Ratio, Maximum Temperature 968°-IRTC40 - The Home Depot

120F during charging is probably fine. Even 140F is acceptable when attempting to de-sulfate.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #38

Like hankpac, we also got the 45 watt solar panel set from Harbor Freight (on sale for $130). We camped for 2 weeks, using the battery just for lights (led's) and phone charging. Battery was topped off well before noon each day. Being in the Adirondacks, we did not have sun every day, but even on cloudy days, the solar panels did the job. Our only complaint wth the product was that the controller was garbage. We will replace it with something better before we go out again, but for $130, we are not unhappy.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
However if money is an issue AND you are only going to use it to charge your batteries you might want to look at this.

Those will help from depleting your battery, but they won't charge it AT ALL. I think you made the wrong link?
Old 08-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
Those will help from depleting your battery, but they won't charge it AT ALL. I think you made the wrong link?
Jim,

Thanks, I did. Meant to paste this:

900 Peak/800 Running Watts, 2 HP (63cc) Generator EPA/CARB

It is a small 700 watt generator to hook up to a charger.

Jim

Tags
battery, power