Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

How to lube lift system of 2011 M-6147?

In Jan. 2012 we purchased a brand new Palomino M-6147. With it being brand new we used it the first summer without lubing the lift system. However, last year, 2013, I went through the manual and found a diagram that instructed me to grease two zerks on the master cylinder. One at the bottom front... and one at the back top.
Well the one in the front was easy to access... the back one is on top of the cylinder which is also under the fresh water holding tank. Does anyone know how to get some grease into that zerk or area of the cylinder without having to take the very large water tank off?
The salesman at the dealer told us not to worry about it as our lift system is guaranteed for life as long as we are the owners of it... but somehow that does not rub me right... I do not want warranty to be voided and I do not want the lift system to fail in the back of the camper. If anyone else has dealt with this and has some advice for me that would be awesome! Thanks!
KamperKen1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #2

Not familiar with the location, since on my Flagstaff it is accessible; even if a pain. If it was me, I would clean the area where it is screwed into the track real good and replace it with a 90 degree zerk fitting. That is dependent upon you being able to unscrew it from the track and screw in a new one.

As for the warranty. My dealer told me that if the system is not lubricated correctly it would void the warranty. So if it is returned with a broken cable and it is a dry track, I guess it could be a problem. But a lot will depend on the dealer and I can only guess, a lot will depend on if it is the selling dealer. And at times, you might have to use a non-selling dealer for repairs.

But Murphy's rule will cause the track to break the first night of a long vacation. So you are right to want to grease it correctly.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

I can't even get to it... the water tank is shaped to form around the master cylinder. I wrote Goshen to see if they had any answers and they were shocked that Palomino would have put the tank where they did, blocking access to the zerk. They said there are two holes in the cable tubes that I could squirt some oil in there and be alright... but I could not find the tubes. On Popupportal.com I heard from one other M-6147 owner who said he had to take the tank off... using a jack to lower it down... disconnect pump hose from tank... and then get at zerk... then put tank back on... a lot of work to get this done. Very poor engineering on someone's part. Thought maybe someone on here might have found an easier way to get it done without all that work!
KamperKen1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

A long term fix would be to drop the tank, remove the grease fitting and run a flexible grease line to a more convenient place where you could mount the fitting permanently for future use.
2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is offline   Reply With Quote