Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #1

How to winteriz HW 296

I have a new Rockwood HW296 and was wondering if anyone knows how to winterize the unit. I ask the dealer but he told me i could bring it into them when i am ready. He wouldn't even tell me if there was a water heater bypass.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #2

I have a HW 276 and there is a water heater bypass ( i'm assuming the 296 is similar to the 276 only longer and some extra amenities).
I think I wrote out a checklist on how to do it. I can attach that later but right now I'm on my way out camping ( seriously). I'll post it this coming Sunday or Monday.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #3

winterizing hw296

thank you for your info. i will watch for your post. phil
Old 08-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #4

Find another dealer if they won't even answer basic questions. I have the 276 as well and I can't imagine the 296 not having a water heater bypass. If you open the compartment that houses the water heater (mine is under the goucho up front) you should see all of the valves and the bypass. I have never winterized mine as it is new as well, however I have several family members that own campers and have offered to help me.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #5

Sorry about the delay. It turns out I don't have a checklist ( got confused with other checklists ). However I do remember the procedure. Just need the time to compile. I'll be using the same procedure for my winterizing as well. Hopefully I can get it done by week's end.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #6

Got my answer

I ended up getting hold of a factory warranty person at Rockwood, and he sent me out paperwork on how to do the winterize on my HW296. For anyone else that has this model, the bypass valves are under the couch in the front on the off road side. You have to remove a wood panel to see the bypass. The water pump is under the TV cabinet. You have to remove the shelf in that cabinet to access the pump. Remove the hose coming from the fresh water tank at the pump. Make up a short hose with a coupler that will go onto the pump inlet . then you just stick the hose into a gallon of antifreeze and turn on your water pump, and run each facuet, until the pink solution comes out. don't forget your outside shower, and your flush toilet
Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris1 View Post
I ended up getting hold of a factory warranty person at Rockwood, and he sent me out paperwork on how to do the winterize on my HW296. For anyone else that has this model, the bypass valves are under the couch in the front on the off road side. You have to remove a wood panel to see the bypass. The water pump is under the TV cabinet. You have to remove the shelf in that cabinet to access the pump. Remove the hose coming from the fresh water tank at the pump. Make up a short hose with a coupler that will go onto the pump inlet . then you just stick the hose into a gallon of antifreeze and turn on your water pump, and run each facuet, until the pink solution comes out. don't forget your outside shower, and your flush toilet

fyi you can instead of removing hose install a three way t shut off and add another hose so that you dont have to remove hose every time.
just turn t valve and insert already installed hose in gallon jug and start pump. when done turn valve back and everything is normal again .
dont forget to remove filter out of canister if you have one .
Ron
Old 08-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #8

won't the filter get winterized when you draw antifreeze thru the facuet? or is it removed so it doesn't become contaminated by the antifreeze?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris1
won't the filter get winterized when you draw antifreeze thru the facuet? or is it removed so it doesn't become contaminated by the antifreeze?
Need to change the filter in the spring anyway so it's just easy to remove it while your there.