Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

HTT to PUP, any others?

So after dealing with my 2010 Roo 183 for a year and a half, having had it in for warranty repairs 4 times and still having it leak, I am done with it. I have the dreaded front bunk leak. I am also finding that I don't want as much camper. More camper (not that this is a big one) means more cleaning, more stuff can fit in it that you have to worry about, more time devoted to caring for it, etc...

I have been looking at trading it in and have really like the Rockwood Premier 2514g

So, a couple of questions.

1) Any HTT folk out there go back to the PUP? What was your experience? Am I delusional in thinking that it is going to be that less work? I'm thinking no more hitch bars, better MPG's, back to the basics of camping!!

2) Any experience out there with this particular model? More specifically, any water problems with the rockwood popups?

3) There was mention of a bike rack that came can be an added option? Is this the toungue mounted one, like the pro rack?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Eric

Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #2

Done it... Started with a PUP, traded up to a TT, Then a MH. Sold the MH and started with another PUP. Bad move. Traded it for HTT after only 1 year. Another bad move. The HTT gave me the same headache as you with an awful bed. Kept the HTT for 6 months and traded up to a 31' Flagstaff Fifth wheel. Love it so far. All the comforts. IMHO, the best of the best is a motorhome and will likey have one in a few years.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #3

Forgot to mention the dreaded tent.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Well, my progression was like this:

Tent
PUP
Back packs
Hybrid
Back packs
TT
Tent
Hybrid (pick up tomorrow)

and variety makes the world go around, or so they say

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #5

We have kept it small and colapsable all the way through our camping life .. starting back in 1992. Our last purchase was the Rockwood A122 Hardside, which we love. We got tired of lift mechanism issues, putting it up, taking it down, having to make the bed each time we got to our destination, not having access to our fridge at home without having to set up, the list goes on.
We made a compromise. I wanted a TT but I didnt want the windsheer issues and the wear and tear on my truck from a small TT. I can access the fridge, and fully pop this little thing up in less than 30 secounds, with the bed made and almost everything ready to go.
These are not for everyone. This is designed for 2 people, with the possibility of having visitors once in a while. Be prepared for lot of questions and tours at the campsite .. as they attract alot of attention.

d-mo
Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
We have kept it small and colapsable all the way through our camping life .. starting back in 1992. Our last purchase was the Rockwood A122 Hardside, which we love. We got tired of lift mechanism issues, putting it up, taking it down, having to make the bed each time we got to our destination, not having access to our fridge at home without having to set up, the list goes on.
We made a compromise. I wanted a TT but I didnt want the windsheer issues and the wear and tear on my truck from a small TT. I can access the fridge, and fully pop this little thing up in less than 30 secounds, with the bed made and almost everything ready to go.
These are not for everyone. This is designed for 2 people, with the possibility of having visitors once in a while. Be prepared for lot of questions and tours at the campsite .. as they attract alot of attention.

d-mo
We have an A122 also. Love it. It's just throw the clothes and food in and go. And yes, it does attract a lot of attention. We have had many positive comments and questions.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #7

We had tents, pups, HTT, TT and now another HTT. We had the leaky front bunk and it was in the shop for that 6 times in 6 months. Then FR took it back to the factory and fixed it. We are perfectly happy now. We love the HTT's but the leak was driving us crazy. I truely understand your frustrations with that. We would not want to go back to a pup for all of the reasons we traded ours off-too much work to set up, loading and unloading, having to set it up to access it, no bathroom on the road or use of it at all while traveling, everything below counter height and had to access, very small frig. but if that were the only way we could camp then we would probably do it but I would want a hard side bathroom in it and counter space. Everyone has to choose what they feel is the best for them and the easiest. This is just what we feel is easiest for us. Good Luck with your decision. Before you give up on your HTT, why don't you contact FR and see if they can help you out.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2000 Suburban 1500 4 X 4
ngts camped 2016-24 so far. reservations for 11 more
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #8

I think I would rather go back to tents than to a pup, in your situation, I would probably look into the 19 to 22 foot TT's. For many of the reasons as mentioned above, a pup is just too much work, ours was stored on our property, when planing a trip crank it up, crank it down to go, crank it up to camp, crank it down to break camp, crank it up to unpack and clean, crank it down to store..... what a PITA, at least with tent camping you only need to put the tents up and down at camp, then maybe once at the end of the year at home... I cringe every time I see a pup on the road or in the campground.

There is only one advantage of a pup... towing height.