Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
HW 296 Grey Water

Hello everyone.

We are new to the RV world after just purchasing a 2011 HW 296.

I have done a fair amount of reading on waste tanks and sewer connections. However, I am a bit confused on what type of adapter I need to be able to connect our small grey water tank to the sewer when camping at a full hook up site. The opening on the tank pipe is 1 3/4" -- larger than garden hose but much smaller than standard sewer connection.

I searched but did not see any threads directly addressing this question.

Thanks for any info!

Rob & Christine

DW, DS, DD, DD + Bailey the Goldendoodle
2011 Rockwood HW296
2004 Yukon Denali
RobNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
What you need is a Valterra T01-0094VP (Straight) or T01-0091VP (Right Angle). They are 1 1/2" to 3/4" hose adaptors, which allows you to use a garden hose. To connect the garden hose to the 3" sewer inlet at your campsite or dump station, you will need something like the Camco 39322. Most well equiped RV stores carry these (but not necessrily CW), or they can be ordered on-line. Just Google the part numbers. The black tank is a standard 3" fitting, but the grey tank is that 1 1/2" fitting which seems to be popular in the pop-up world. Why they didn't make both the standard 3" fitting, I don't have a clue.
Hope this helps.

Bob & Doris
Roanoke, VA
2009 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 - 5.7L - 6 Speed Auto - 4.30:1
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Had the same issue with our Flagstaff HW Popup. Also totally confused as to why they didn't put the same type of connector on the grey as the black tank. I wanted to find an adapter to connect to the grey outlet to make it the same standard type connector as on the black tank, so I could flush the hose after dumping the black water with the grey water. After fruitlessly searching I ended up making my own.

I went to Lowe's and found a PVC male threaded connector that was the right size to fit the grey outlet on the camper. I also found a rubber clamp-on type coupler to connect the PVC piece to a connector sort of like this one that I found at my local RV dealer parts store.

Valterra Sewer Fittings - Product - Camping World

That way I just screwed on my adapter that I made to the existing fitting from the camper and I was able to use the same dump hose for both tanks.

I wish I had a picture of it for you - heck if I still had it I'd just send it to you, but I left it in the camper when we traded it in.
2012 Flagstaff V-lite 30 WTBS
2011 Ford Expedition
4 kids and a hubby & never enough time to camp!
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Thanks to you both for the helpful information. Glad I'm not the only one perplexed by this set up! appreciate the detailed info on parts needed. That will be my little project for this week.
DW, DS, DD, DD + Bailey the Goldendoodle
2011 Rockwood HW296
2004 Yukon Denali
RobNKY is offline   Reply With Quote