Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #1

HW 31 furnace mod

With it being cold up here in the northeast my furnace wanted to run non stop. The day I bought it I had the thermostat turned all the way down but it still wasn't low enough. While gassing up the truck I noticed heat coming from the exhaust so I shut the lp tanks off and let it burn itself out. Apparently it will try to relight 3 times then go into a lock out mode. Only way then to reset it is to pull the fuse. So I installed a simple illuminated switch right above the furnace. Now there is no guessing if the unit is on or off. Just thought I'd share. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456499798.113185.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	100449
Wygantmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #2

That sound like a thermostat problem. I have camped in very cold areas in the mountains and never had a problem like that. That final click, when pushing the lever to the left, is supposed to totally turn off the furnace.

And those factory thermostats are noted to be troublesome at times.

Here's some info on the operation....
http://robertssales.com/articles_tut...is_not_on.html

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #3

It wouldn't surprise me if I had a faulty thermostat. At the same time. I can turn off the furnace without having to raise the roof incase it is left on at the thermostat when the trailer is closed up. I can't get to the thermostat when the top is down. So it isn't all bad.
Wygantmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

Whenever I lower the roof, I turn turn the propane valves off on both tanks. Prefer not to tow with them open. Just me...I know some leave the valves open and some even run the fridge on gas when towing.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, modifications