Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2014, 01:58 AM   #1

HW277 outside storage door on dinette slide out, can you make larger?

We just bought a HW277. It has the slide out u shape dinette. There is an exterior storage door where you can access the storage space under the bench seat. Problem is the door is very small making it difficult to reach the left side of the space. Has anyone tried to expand that door or does anyone know if a larger door might impair the integrity of the slide out wall? I can't understand why they didn't make this thing about 30" long?
Koedean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #2

yes, it is a small door. I have not considered enlarging it. Stuff I have stored on the left side is not stuff I routinely use or need to have before the PUP is open. I put the stuff I need to get at before the PUP is opened right there at the door (which is easy since those are also the last things I put in the space when closing up - like the tongue wheel and the chocks). Everything else can wait til the PUP is opened and can then unload from the inside by lifting the bench top (camp chairs).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #3

Is that right? There is only one storage door on the dinette slide? That must be one of the subtle differences between the '277 and the '296. There are 2 doors, one on each side, of our slide.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #4

Yes, only one door. The HW296 is also 2 feet longer. The water heater in the hw277 is also located in the left side bench seats (as you look at it from the outside). So the far left space (the arm of the U) is not very usable for storage. The left space he is talking about is the bottom of the U of the dinette.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Yes, only one door. The HW296 is also 2 feet longer. The water heater in the hw277 is also located in the left side bench seats (as you look at it from the outside). So the far left space (the arm of the U) is not very usable for storage. The left space he is talking about is the bottom of the U of the dinette.
I was aware of the length and floorplan differences, but I thought the dinette slides were identical. I looked at the floorplan on the FR site, and sure enough, it looks like the water heater is in the dinette slide. Who would have thunk.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #6

Okay....any thoughts on adding another door or enlarging the current one? Do people do this? there are still a couple feet before you hit the water heater.
Koedean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, slide, slide out, storage