Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #1

HW27SC. A/C opinions & options sought.

Earlier this year, I picked up a 2011 hw27sc. I was pondering pup vs. hybrid, and elected for the pup due to storage. I have a lower than standard garage opening, and neither of my trucks will clear, so there's a two car garage with nothing in it. What better place for a pup, right?
Online specs showed that the pup would fit the 76" height. But when I brought her home, oops,,,,, that 13.5" tall a/c unit foiled my plan.
I'd really like to store her in the garage for obvious reasons. So here's my quandary.......

I can have the dealer switch a/c units for the Coleman Mach 8 (will clear by 1/2"), but that'll probably be over $1000 to do.

90% of my camping trips are dry camping. 6 trips this year and only used the a/c one time.

I come from the thought process of, "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

So, mucho dinero for low profile a/c unit ? Swap for another fantastic fan? Pull it completely and patch the hole?

I'm in eastern PA...so winter equals heavy snow loads on the roof. Heated garage equals limited winterizing and protection from the elements.

So, what say you?

'07 Chevy Silverado
'07 Chevy Tahoe
'11 HW27sc
jw34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #2

let some air out of the tires
Old 09-15-2015, 04:41 AM   #3

I say get the ac. I was prepared to do the same thing with our hw27ks, but it just barely fit. You will be glad you did when there's about a foot of snow outside and your pup is tucked in the garage. Would be a good selling point later too if you decide to sell.

If its really close, you could try the air out of the tires deal.

I just really like the idea on knowing my pup is high and dry in my garage when not in use. That's just me, but its not my $$$ and that is not cheap.

Good luck
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:54 AM   #4

Thanks. I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and dropping the dough for the lower a/c unit. I'm 5.5" too tall right now, the new one would clear by 1/2". At that point, airing down the tires could be done if needed. Although I use the a/c rarely, the one time I did use it, I'm really glad I had it.
I'd really love to get that pup in the garage. I've considered the cost/labor involved in every possible aspect.... Lowering the garage floor, re-engineering the top plate of the doors, etc... The only reasonable answer is a shorter external a/c unit.

I think I answered my own question.

'07 Chevy Silverado
'07 Chevy Tahoe
'11 HW27sc
Old 09-15-2015, 11:22 PM   #5

Another option, winterized it and park it outside with an a frame over it to keep snow off. $1000.00 will pay for a lot of camping. Our previous trailer lived in the mountain for several years with no shelter and it never bothered the roof.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabmeb View Post
Another option, winterized it and park it outside with an a frame over it to keep snow off. $1000.00 will pay for a lot of camping. Our previous trailer lived in the mountain for several years with no shelter and it never bothered the roof.
Why not just remove the A/C for the winter then reinstall it. It's not that tough to do and then it will fit and reinstall during the spring? Save you alot of money....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Why not just remove the A/C for the winter then reinstall it. It's not that tough to do and then it will fit and reinstall during the spring? Save you alot of money....
Thought about that, but I'd also like to keep it in the garage year round when not in use. Keep it out of the sun, uv rays, and free up some driveway space. (I'd be pulling it 6-10x per year) And use an un-utilized garage. (And still cheaper than my other idea to fill the garage with a classic Chevelle or Corvette)

Called two dealers today. One quoted $1050 for parts and +/- $200 for labor. The other was too busy preparing for the Hershey RV show to entertain my call.

Found the unit I need, complete, for $850 online with free shipping. Picking up 15hrs of overtime will pay for that. And then it's done, no more fussing.

Funny how I over-analyze spending $850 on the camper which is used frequently, but I won't bat an eye at dropping that amount on a rifle that sits in a safe collecting dust.

'07 Chevy Silverado
'07 Chevy Tahoe
'11 HW27sc
Old 09-17-2015, 01:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
Thought about that, but I'd also like to keep it in the garage year round when not in use. Keep it out of the sun, uv rays, and free up some driveway space. (I'd be pulling it 6-10x per year) And use an un-utilized garage. (And still cheaper than my other idea to fill the garage with a classic Chevelle or Corvette)

Called two dealers today. One quoted $1050 for parts and +/- $200 for labor. The other was too busy preparing for the Hershey RV show to entertain my call.

Found the unit I need, complete, for $850 online with free shipping. Picking up 15hrs of overtime will pay for that. And then it's done, no more fussing.

Funny how I over-analyze spending $850 on the camper which is used frequently, but I won't bat an eye at dropping that amount on a rifle that sits in a safe collecting dust.

And dare talk about getting rid of the rifle... Time to get rid of the camper.😂

Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor, by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world.
- Raymond Chandler
TexasRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRain View Post
And dare talk about getting rid of the rifle... Time to get rid of the camper.😂
Oh heck no, never !

But I've finally figured out what I'm doing with the a/c. No need to rush it, I've only got two more camping trips scheduled this year. Next week, then again mid-Oct.

So after the Oct trip, I'll pull the current a/c off and put her in the garage for the winter. Sell that a/c for a couple bucks, and come next spring, I'll buy the low profile a/c with tax return monies, prior to my first trip of 2016. (Any proceeds from the sale of the old a/c will surely be spent by then on gun stuff).

'07 Chevy Silverado
'07 Chevy Tahoe
'11 HW27sc