Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #1

HW296 AC under powered

Just got back from our first trip in our new (to us) 2015 HW 296. Evening worked great except the AC. While it “worked” it couldn’t cool the trailer enough to be comfortable. And the real concern is what it was only in the mid 80’s. Ok yes. I don’t need a bunch of post telling me mid 80’s with your window zipped makes for great camping. We did have to do that. That’s not the point. The point is it couldn’t even cool it in the 80’s. There is no chance it will ever work. The air blows ice cold. But cycles on and off. There was a much older Colman tent trailer next to us with their factory ac on as well. It was like a meet locker in theirs. So I know tent trailers an definitely get cool. Anyone else have a similar experience with their Rockwood with AC? I lm not positive but I believe it’s only 8,500 BTU? Any mods to improve it? Or am I just stuck and have to order a new 15,000 BTU AC?
Itwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Team

If if is blowing cold air it is working, the fact that it is cycling on and off is an indication of one of (or both) two things.

1. The cold air is blowing on the thermostat and cooling it and that area causing it to thinks the desired temp has been reached. If this is the case if possible deflect the cold air away from the thermostat or add a small fan to disperse the air better.

2. The AC was started in a very warm humid RV and the coils are icing up and causing it to cycle to thaw the ice. If this is the case, check the filter and the return air flow to insure the maximum air flow to help prevent the coils from freezing. You can also drop the interior temp slowly so as to remove humidity at a slower rate.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #3

If it's 102 outside, our trailer will be 89 with the ac on. Trying to blow cold air into a hot box just isn't the best definition of efficient.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwrx View Post
Just got back from our first trip in our new (to us) 2015 HW 296. Evening worked great except the AC. While it “worked” it couldn’t cool the trailer enough to be comfortable. And the real concern is what it was only in the mid 80’s. Ok yes. I don’t need a bunch of post telling me mid 80’s with your window zipped makes for great camping. We did have to do that. That’s not the point. The point is it couldn’t even cool it in the 80’s. There is no chance it will ever work. The air blows ice cold. But cycles on and off. There was a much older Colman tent trailer next to us with their factory ac on as well. It was like a meet locker in theirs. So I know tent trailers an definitely get cool. Anyone else have a similar experience with their Rockwood with AC? I lm not positive but I believe it’s only 8,500 BTU? Any mods to improve it? Or am I just stuck and have to order a new 15,000 BTU AC?
Are you using Popup Gizmos and Reflectix?
If not, they will help tremendously.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you using Popup Gizmos and Reflectix?
If not, they will help tremendously.

This. Works wonders.
IonicBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #6

A lot of times an air conditioner is working perfectly well and the reason for its perceived poor performance is due to latent heat. The ice-cold air at the outlet is sensible heat, or the lack of it that is felt to include evaporation of moisture from the hand in the air flow from the duct that removes more energy making the air flow feel cold on skin. Latent heat is the heat that is not sensed or felt and comes mostly in the form of high humidity. The moisture that is condensing from the air is reducing the ability of the air conditioner to lower sensible temperatures. The warm moist air is loaded with heat energy that flows into the air conditioner evaporator leaving less cooling ability from the air coming out the duct.

In my opinion and experience, an 8,000 BTU air conditioner is too small for but the smallest of well insulated hard sided truck campers. Poor insulation combined with high humidity, an 8,000 BTU us AC is going to make mostly noise and little more.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicBrick View Post
This. Works wonders.
I have reflex up but no gizmos. However the Coleman pup had neither and like I said it felt like the inside of a meat locker. I did notice that it’s (Coleman) ac looked like every other as on any motor home/ travel trailer. Can anyone confirm the HW296 is only 8,500 BTU’s?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
I have reflex up but no gizmos. However the Coleman pup had neither and like I said it felt like the inside of a meat locker. I did notice that it’s (Coleman) ac looked like every other as on any motor home/ travel trailer. Can anyone confirm the HW296 is only 8,500 BTU’s?
Standard is a 13.5k a/c.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 08-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #9

our 2010 HW277 had the stadard 13.5K a/c. it did just fine (and we never got around to getting the gizmos or reflectix for it.).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
our 2010 HW277 had the stadard 13.5K a/c. it did just fine (and we never got around to getting the gizmos or reflectix for it.).
Gals, you live in Maryland while the OP lives in the desert Southwest.
I'm sure they deal with much higher temperatures.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
How do I verify I have a 13,500 AC?
Old 08-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #12

Quote:
How do I verify I have a 13,500 AC?
See if you can find a label on the unit somewhere. Google it for more info.

Having the unit constantly cycle is the problem you should solve first.

1. Have you set the thermostat to its lowest setting?

2. Is the thermostat built-in to the unit, or is it wall mounted somewhere else? If it is wall mounted, try putting a temporary baffle of some sort to direct the cold air discharge away from the thermostat. If it is built in to the unit, it is not unusual to have too much cycling because the thermostat is too close to the discharge.
Converting to a remote thermostat often solves the problem.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
See if you can find a label on the unit somewhere. Google it for more info.

Having the unit constantly cycle is the problem you should solve first.

1. Have you set the thermostat to its lowest setting?

2. Is the thermostat built-in to the unit, or is it wall mounted somewhere else? If it is wall mounted, try putting a temporary baffle of some sort to direct the cold air discharge away from the thermostat. If it is built in to the unit, it is not unusual to have too much cycling because the thermostat is too close to the discharge.
Converting to a remote thermostat often solves the problem.
Any resources on how to converter a remote system?
Old 08-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Gals, you live in Maryland while the OP lives in the desert Southwest.
I'm sure they deal with much higher temperatures.
well, yep if the OP lives in the southwest it would be a bit more difficult for the a/c to keep up. we were just out there with our hybrid last summer and the a/c was tolerable, not as good as here in Maryland. we had to use gizmos and reflectix to help.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
well, yep if the OP lives in the southwest it would be a bit more difficult for the a/c to keep up. we were just out there with our hybrid last summer and the a/c was tolerable, not as good as here in Maryland. we had to use gizmos and reflectix to help.
And without PUGs, that sun beating down on the tops of the tent ends, will make it hard to cool.
With a satisfaction rate of almost 100%, it's hard to understand why popup and hybrid owners don't make them their first purchase.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Any resources on how to converter a remote system?

If you can post here what model and brand your A/C is, the Hive Mind on the forum should be able to make some good suggestions.

I am currently doing a remote conversion on my all-in-one Dometic A/C and should be posting the info within a few weeks.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #17

BTW, specs here show a 13,500 BTUH A/C is standard.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2015-...-hw296-tr22889

If so, changing to a 15K BTU unit would only be an 11% increase in cooling, assuming your unit is not defective.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:38 PM   #18

Just went through something similar, although not as bad as yours. Brand new 1905 Mini Lite with a Coleman Mach 13,500 A/C. Would only cool trailer to about 68-70 degrees. Bottom line was that cold conditioned air was bypassing the trailer going direct back into the air inlet "fooling" the internal thermostat temperature sensor that the trailer was cold. After finding two areas where cold air was bypassing directly into the inlet, trailer will get down to 61 degrees or so.

Write-up on what I found is in http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...gh-168937.html

Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #19

I'm not much a fan of Dometic AC as I have issues with them, I'm a Coleman AC guy. Love those ACs.

Anyhow, I had issues with a barrier piece between the intake and the output. The AC would never cool down because cool air out was always hitting the Thermocouple and shutting the compressor off. Thermocouple should had only been seeing the intake air temp. Got that fixed and it worked good from there on out.

That was on my 2007 Starcraft 2406 pop up.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
If you can post here what model and brand your A/C is, the Hive Mind on the forum should be able to make some good suggestions.

I am currently doing a remote conversion on my all-in-one Dometic A/C and should be posting the info within a few weeks.
Did you do the Remote thermostat model yet? Do you have any photos or write ups on it? Thanks

Tags
power