Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #1

HW296 and Grand Cherokee

Does anyone pull the HW 296 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with towing package and the 3.6 in it?

Any special equipment needed for towing?

Any problems going over the Rocky Mountains?
NHGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #2

You didn't state what year your Jeep is.
I use to pull a flagstaff HW 27SC with my 2011 Cherokee, 3.6l, no tow package.It was fine most of the time, but even in places like the Smokies it struggled up the steeper inclines. I think you're going to find the Rockies VERY challenging.
You're going to need a good weight distribution system, mirror extensions and a brake controller.
I have a HW296 I town with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with the 5.7l hemi and it's a breeze.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

I pull a HW27SC with my 2018 Grand Cherokee with towing package and the V6. I have a brake controller for the electric brakes. Most of the time it is fine, but does require me to slow down to about 50 when fully loaded with water tank full on larger mountain roads that are longer (1+ miles), but we are talking east coast. I would guess you would be ok with that TV - would love to hear from someone else for confirmation, as the Rockies are on my list!
EJdubc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #4
Site Team

You need to define what a towing package is. You will need a brake controller if the TT has electric brakes. Does the tow package include a 7 pin Bargman connector. I would also add an aux trans cooler. I burned up a trans pulling an 8X12 trailer with two motorcycles in the mtns of NY.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:50 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. As I suspected and am now convinced .. A bigger toe vehicle would be the best route to take since they will be crossing the Rockies at least twice each year for family visits.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #6

A stronger newer tow vehicle is definitely the safer route. I recently upgraded to a late model Dodge Durango RT (which is more or less the same as the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the big hemi) is a great option. Great vehicle to drive, and it has 365 hp and 400 ft lbs of torque, 7500/750 towing capacity, HD brakes and cooling. I tow a 5500 20' car hauler trailer easily with brake controller and WDH. Nice thing about it is the dash readouts which allow me to select a constant readout on the exact transmission temperature any time I need it, such as in the mountains. According to online specs, your dry weight is just 3250 lbs. Add propane, fresh water, gear and supplies and you probably can add 1000 lbs to that, which should be well within the 7500/750 towing capacity. You definitely want some headroom. My own margin of safety would tell me I would probably want to keep it under 80-85% capacity, and you're well within that.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #7

My sister tows a 32 ft TT with her 2017 Durango Citadel with the Hemi and factory tow package and she says it tows like a breeze. No issues at all going up hills as she tows often up to the Adirondack Mtns
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by No more shoveling View Post
My sister tows a 32 ft TT with her 2017 Durango Citadel with the Hemi and factory tow package and she says it tows like a breeze. No issues at all going up hills as she tows often up to the Adirondack Mtns
The Adirondacks are NOT the Rockies.
Nor are they the Sierras, Cascades or the Siskiyous.
Eastern mountains are nothing like Western mountain ranges.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Eastern mountains are nothing like Western mountain ranges.
You said it, brudder!
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #10

while bikendan is correct that the eastern mountains are nothing like the western mountains, the 5.7 L hemi Jeep or Durango would easily handle the Rockies with the high wall popup. (I would lean toward the D as it is a bit longer wheelbase and I have one LOL). We towed a HW277 popup with the 5.7 L Hemi Durango. We went all over with it including out west to Yellowstone, it handled everything very well and I would have taken the popup anywhere using the D as a tow vehicle.

We now are towing a bigger hybrid trailer (our current 23WS) with the Durango. I was apprehensive about going through the Rockies - because it is the Rockies and knowing we would be getting to 11,000 feet but I was very pleased with the way the Durango performed. Do i break speed records - no. but i kept up with the trucks and the D did not struggle. The popup would have been easy.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #11

If it's a newer Grand Cherokee with the factory tow package you should be fine, considering the max tow limit on it is around 7,200 lbs.
tcbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies!

It has been decided that the Cherokee wouldn’t be a wise or safe option for the trips that would be taken getting from Wisconsin to Northern California a few times a year to visit the daughter. The wife's current Durango is getting older and has over 100,000 miles on it and she would like to stay with a Durango so it sounds like replacing her current one with one with the Hemi in it would be the way to go.

Tags
cherokee