Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #41

The above picture appears to show the awning attached to the top part of the Hi-Lo. I doubt one could mount that to the top portion of a pop up.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #42

Yes I agree swimmer. The bracket I was talking about is the one the mounts the arm to the trailer at the bottom. But yes it would be to the frame. Wish I had the guts to rig it up on my pup but 1 it's new and the most important thing 2 I love my wife and don't want a divorce over an awning. Wish someone over at FR would look into this!! I think the weight wouldn't be a big thing after all.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #43

If you loosen the knob, and roll out the awning to set the legs ( hold down legs) would there be really any weight on the top? Might run this past my engineering friends.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #44

So kinma, ask forest river. I already did and had a nice discussion with Sam before he retired about this very thing. He totally understood the issues we have with the awnings but could offer no real solutions. but if more requests came in, it might get them to at least work on the problem.
One issue for the weight that I as a nonengineer type person sees, how much of the total awning weight is the side arms and therefore how much does the roller and fabric weigh? From what i see, it appears the side legs may not be supporting much of the awning weight during the raising of the roof. And that may be enough weight to effect the lift system. I would love for something to work, but have not found it yet. And awning like this one but at half the weight, I might be willing to try it.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
The above picture appears to show the awning attached to the top part of the Hi-Lo. I doubt one could mount that to the top portion of a pop up.

Vin.
yes they are attached to the upper portion on a hi-lo, however I would not do that on the pop up, I would attach to the frame rail under the trailer, then loosen the knob when raising or lowering the top so the legs can telescope/ retract as needed.

I feel with the weight, I would guess up-to or more than 30% could be on the leg attachment point, on the frame. meaning that 42 lbs is on the roof, not 60, and that would only be 12 more than the current bag awing that is there.

It would be really interesting if someone actually knew the weights installed and such, maybe an owner who has this cold use 2 scales when the awning is out, and measure at each leg, see what the real weight is and report back

i just looked it up, an 8 ft 8500 is 65 lbs and an 8 foot sunchaser is 54 lbs, I am not clear on the difference between the 2 awnings but ill research it further.
I dont have a highwall so i cant try this on mine
swimmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #46

I'm thinking attach the legs at the frame loosen the the knob and unlatch at the roller so the awning and roller can extend like you open a bag awning b4 raising the roof. Then tighten the knob and maybe attach support legs kinda like the ones old coot makes. Then raise the roof up. I think they wouldn't really be any weight other then what the awning tinchin would be?? Not really sure. Btw galsofescape do you know a phone number on email at FR awnings?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #47

I just used the "contact us" area of the forest river web site. I have used it twice and they have gotten back to me both times, so they are responsive.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #48

Oh ok. Haven't looked into it at all. I just know I need something because the awning will just keep getting ruined in bad weather cause I can roll it up after the pup is setup unless I undo the door n hooks only.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #49

heres kinda something that might work if some mods can be figured out.
roller awning on a pop up trailer - Bing Videos

Tags
awning