Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

HW296 pre-purchase Q's

Ok, close to ordering one. Have an offer in on one. Here are some questions the dealer can't answer because none were in stock.

1. The TV. Is it replaceable with a bigger unit? Can it turn all the way around to face the dinette? It seems in a funny location.
2. Can the ceiling lights be turned on and off individually?
3. Does the tv play through the speakers in the walls, or does it have it's own speaker?
4. Has anyone been able to move this thing on the driveway on a level surface without a vehicle hooked to it? I need to be able to push this around a little in my little garage.
5. How good is the canvas at sealing out bugs? I've had three different popups. The first two seemed to let miniature bugs in through some of the screening. My current Coleman seems to have gaps in places that let all sorts of critters come in.
6. Anyone struggle with the width of the door? I know its a popup standard, but my coleman door is wider and I'm used to that.
7. Anyone pulling this without any special hook ups? I don't have anything but a hitch on the back of my Acadia. It's been fine towing the Coleman at 2600 lbs. The HW296 is of course heavier and longer. I wonder if I'll need anti-sway or weight distributing help.

Ok, I guess this is enough for one post!
MrDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #2

Hello Dan and welcome to the forum.

You are gonna love your new unit if you buy it.

Let me answer your questions.

Yes the TV will swivel 360 degrees so you can watch from dinette, bunks, or couch. You can add a larger TV but the way it is set up now you can stow it for travel. I take mine off as I want more cushion on the TV and am not a fan of it possibly bouncing around. A larger one would also need to be slid off this swivel bracket. The Tele uses a typical V shaped mount bracket that other RV TV's use.

Ceiling lights are all individual.

The TV will play thru its own speaker. DVD's played on the TV will play thru the camper speakers.

I have not moved mine but I doubt you would be able to move too many HW pop ups. These suckers tend to be heavy.

The screens will keep out bugs but yes, pop ups will have certain areas where a bug could crawl in. I doubt you would ever stop that.

I have not noticed any problems with the door width. As you mentioned they do tend to be standard. Older Coleman's with the wall steps do have a couple inches more.

I use a WDH just because when I first bought my popup I had never towed before and people said having anti sway would ease my concerns. The WD finction was required/ recommended by my auto manufacturer.

I hope this helps.

I too bought my camper sight unseen. I am in Boston and I could not find one within 1,000 miles. These things just sell too quick to ever find one.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #3

Thanks Vin. I've actually seen one before. They had them in stock and I was looking last fall. But it wasn't a good time, since selling my old camper would be harder in the fall/winter. Now is actually a good time to sell my old one. Only thing is, they say it would be possibly six weeks until delivery. Almost past camping season at that point here in Michigan!
The six week wait is supposedly related to an Amish holiday. Wonder what that is?
Old 07-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

Here's another question: anyone get the screen room with theirs? I got out of the habit of setting it up on my Coleman because mine was actually a "Add-a-room" and it was so heavy and cumbersome it wasn't worth it. The attachment to the awning was poor, and it was always on the verge of falling down.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #5

I tow mine with a Suburban currently without any WDH or Anti-sway. While it
tows very well most of the time. It does get wobbly when a big truck passes me doing 90, (hey it happens in Georgia). I plan on adding the Anti sway soon. They are not expensive or hard to install. I'm 6'-4" and have no trouble with the door. My shoulders are still wider than my belly, but it's close.
No real problems with bugs but last summer the Palmetto Bugs (nice name for giant roaches) did carry off my cooler. Jokes on them as it only had light beer.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #6

Thanks 2gwright!
Old 07-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #7

I had the carefree add a room on my previous HW pop up and did not care for it. It was heavy and just did not attach very well. I look over at the Coleman people and they seem to have a nice set up. I thought the carefree would be like that. NOT!

I am currently looking at getting a simple 10x10 Easy-up with a few sides to keep the rain at bay. That too is heavy, but I see that the sides fit pretty good.

Good luck.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #8

Mr dan. I have a hw276 which is a little lighter 1k I think. I was able to move my pup in and out of a garage on level cement it took 2 of us. Well 1 and a half seeing I'm a little disabled. I used a wheel dolly I bought at harbor freight. But it was very low so the stabs almost touched the ground. Cabelas has a dolly you can adjust the height which that might work better.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:56 PM   #9

Thanks Kinma!