Old 06-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Insulation ideas

Hi all! I am fairly new at all this. We just bought our pop up a few weeks back. We took the kids, 4 of the 5, up camping for the weekend. The only complaint they had was that it was cold. We ran the heater, in fact it ran almost all night both nights. My question is... Is there any way to keep the warmth in. We double checked to make sure everything was in the correct place and nothing was left undone. I am thinking of maybe some material to go along the pull outs, all 3 of them. Does anyone have any other ideas? Would a think layer of insulation work on the two pull out sides? Rambling I know. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Sadly, that is one of the problems with tent trailers or hybrids. They simply do not have any insulation. I really do not see from looking at them that there is a way to easily add insulation, except maybe add some heavy blankets to the ends. But that would only keep heat inside the box and the beds would get colder yet. Maybe best would be some better sleeping bags.

donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
I don't have any yet (thinking about buying some though), but folks have good things to say about PopupGizmos. They are best known for keeping the heat out of the camper in the summer by reflecting the sun rather than letting it heat up the bunk ends. Their web site says that they help keep things warm in the winter though. PopupGizmos

I'm in Texas and more interested in the "keeping heat out" aspect of them.

Our Roo came with heated mattresses.... Maybe pack an electric blanket to help if you have electric hookup?

jas0420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Way back when we had a popup we ran into the problem that we couldn't get warm at night. We realized that the cold was coming from under the bunks. The more blankets we put over us the more we trapped the cold in. We opened up a sleeping bag and put it on the mattress. Then we used our blankets on top and we were comfortable.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Thanks everyone! My husband looks at the pop up gizmos. It may work. We also thought a thin layer of insulation under the beds. Not sure. The mattresses are heated but we have no generator as of yet so that does no good. For sure we will have the kids wear their writer pjs and being the heavy sleeping bags. 😄
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
Yoga mats, or similar closed cell foam under to act as a thermal break. I use them on the vinyl floor when it it bitter cold and they make a big difference even though they are quite thin. They also don't slide.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
I had a popup prior to my TT. There is several things you can do. For under the bunks, you can buy some thin foam insulation boards, they go right under the mattresses. The make a insulation that is called Reflectix that is very thin with air bubbles. You can cut it to fit in the windows, does wonders. Carpet on the floor will help slow down cold creep through the floor. PUGs are fantastic, they also help keep the outside clean. Skirts around the bottom of the bunks will keep the wind out.

Another great forum for pups is the popupportal. Same as here, tons of experience and very friendly.
cstover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Moderators' Assistant
PUGs(PopupGizmos) have been used by many popup and hybrid owners for years. have never read a review that said they were a waste of money. all i've read have had positive results, including me.

Bob Pitney at PUGs, provides top of the line customer service and support.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
When we had our popup and then hybrid the space blankets on the tent ends and Reflectix in the windows in the tent ends made a big difference.

2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote