Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #1

Is it normal to have to adjust the upper limit already?

I know there are tons of posts about the lift but couldn't find anything specific. It's a '14 2318G with the newer winch. Looks easy enough from the manual but noticed end of last year it didn't seem to tighten the guide cable as much. Figured it was just stretched or pulled out a little since the door would go in.

Last couple times though the cable was pretty limp and I already moved the clip on the door up just to make it easier to get in anyway.

So does the cable stretching just happen? something wrong? I follow the instructions, camper is level when this happens and honestly zippers/shepards poles and stuff all go up easier but seems the roof is "lower and lower" with each setup.

My plan is to adjust the upper limit a little higher then mark the lift posts for the "perfect height". Just wondering if this is something that happens or if there is some other underlying problem I'm missing.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #2

I had to adjust mine, but it took almost two years before it was needed.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #3

Hmmm and iirc you hit some rough terrain. It's been up and down a lot, and we have dragged it through some pretty rough roads but I doubt anything you have out west. It's been a year and half....I'm just debating taking it to the dealer or tweaking the lift and keeping an eye on it.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #4

Not sure if it's normal but I have to do mine still. It was fine the first time I set up last year but never since.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Well, personally I never tighten the lift so tight that the safety cable is completely tight! For the few extra centimeters of height added, it is not worth stretching the cables or stressing the winch
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

I agree everything goes together better when it's not completely tight but I don't want to be stuck in a situation where I can't get the door in either.

I'll probably give it a little tweak then finally get around to marking my lift posts where I find a good height for setup so I don't have to "eyeball" the cable.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #7

Well, personally I have to have that guide wire tight, or else the door will not go in. Besides, the minute the wire starts pulling tight on the drum to raise the springs, the cable will start to stretch. How much????

Correctly set limit switches are not going to add any extra stress on the cable. That's why it can take quite a few up and downs to adjust the switches. And on the old style winch (uses grease) if the lower limit switch is adjusted, the upper will need readjusting.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 07-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #8

I relocated the clips that held our door in up top so the wire didn't have to be tight. I did that because of the upper limit and had to get the door in, but found we weren't fighting zippers or Shepard poles....so I need it slightly higher than its going now but I don't want to set up with it as high as when we first got it.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #9

I have a 2013 2318g. So far I haven't had to make any adjustments, but will keep on the lookout. I did notice that on my last camping trip last week that I think my roof dropped little. The two clips that hold the top of the door in place were so tight I couldn't turn them to the side. Went outside and checked my green cable and it was a little slack. Don't know why this was. Hopefully someone may have just turned my crank handle cause I left in the winch.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #10

That's how mine started, and pretty sure you got yours about the same time I got mine correct? (april-may last year?)..It was on Halloween actually. Hit the limit but the cable wasn't real tight. Squeezed door in and figured it was just a crazy site or something.

Same thing first trip this spring...Which led me to move the clips up for the door just in case.

Bad that it happens, but thanks guys, good to know I'm not the only one! if it was a manual crank, you'd never notice anything.

I'll mess with it this weekend, it looks super easy to adjust on mine so we'll see. I dug through my manuals but didn't see it, what is the "ideal" open height supposed to be? google-fu failed me as well.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #11

I adjusted mine to make the green guide wire tight, but NOT straining on the screws. This did the trick. Door slides in nice and easy as it did the first two years.

It was on my first camping trip this year that I noticed the door did not want to go in, and I ended up mounting it half-***ed.

If you have an older style, with the grease make sure the plate that contains the adjustment screw, does not come any closer than an 1/8 of an inch to the gear. Probably something similar to the new style too, if it uses a plate.

And I believe in the next few days, I will be ordering a manual lift and chucking the power winch

Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #12

Newer style, according to my manual's diagram anyway since I haven't had time to take the cover off is just a 4mm hex head. Hopefully mine is the one with them on the top, some models have them on the bottom.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #13

Just to update, super easy on the style winch I have. take off cover, 4mm allen wrench, 1 turn and done.

Read the manual though, the markings on the winch are counter intuitive, the one on the top with the arrow pointing up would seem correct right? Well NOPE, manual is correct, the bottom screw adjusts upper limit, top does the lower limit.