Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Is there a quiet lift motor

Hi all,
I have a 2016 2516G. It's been out for only 1 season so far and it was amazing. EXCEPT, it was absolutely embarrassing whenever I have to lift or lower the top. It is so loud that it could be heard throughout the campground (or the entire cul-de-sac) and probably 2 blocks away as well.

Now I know that's sort of the norm nowadays, but I just can't believe that there's isn't a half decent motor out there we could use? A cheap 18V drill probably does a lot better job.

So, like many pop-up owners, I'm looking for a way to improve or replace this motor.

I have tried lubricating the gears inside, but it didn't seem to help.
Milk_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #2

I initiated this same discussion about 18 months ago. It seems that the older/ quieter winches were far less reliable. The responders also seemed to conclude that there is no way to”quiet” the motor. I totally agree that it is embarrassing. I’ve actually warned nearby folks about what is going to happen!
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

We used to own a 2001 Coleman PUP. I just used my 20v drill to crank up the roof. The ratcheting was very noisy but not unbearable, and that's expected for a PUP.

How loud is it? Is it the ratcheting AND the noise of the motor?
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #4

I have asked this question before as well. I have not heard of any replacement that is quieter. It is sooooo loud. It does lift the top faster than my old one though.

It sounds like it could lift the roof off a building!!
Bushfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

I have searched and found that there were no solutions in previous posts. I was really hoping for some new answers in 2018.

I mean...it's not all that different from a regular 12V winch. I can even endure rising/lowering the roof at 1/2 speed. Maybe I have to resort to a DIY solution.
Milk_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #6

Manual is simple and very quiet

After having my lift motor burn out after about 40 lifts, and being told by many reliable sources that all the motors have short lives, I replaced my electric lift with a manual lift. For about six months, I was using an 18V hand drill after the lift motor failed. This worked great until the nut on the winch that is used with a hand drill (or god forbid, winch handle) rounded up.
The manual winch is very quiet, took about 2 hours to install, lift the top very quickly, doesn't need a battery, or much physical strength.
joefram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #7

Yes we have the technology and actual products available... but these things are all built with cheapest available materials. The motor could be better insulated easily when designing the housing. Using different gear ratios and more gears you could keep or increase torque and run quieter. A better more powerful lift motor could be had that is both quieter and faster. Would probably cost the manf $50 - $100 more which in turn would add $1000 to the MSRP. Like Norm says... It's a Dog Eat Dog World out there... and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #8

I am frustrated with the noise also. I never heard an electric motor so load. If the motor last longer then I guess I can live with it.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

I am VERY curious about how loud these are. Can somebody post a video?
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #10

That is the one thing I HATED exclusively about our popup... setup and takedown. Embarrassing setting up... taking it down for an early start I felt like one of those inconsiderate, terrible camping neighbors. It was Loud and Obnoxious.
During the new walk through show and tell the service guy warned before we started to let it up... "this thing is loud". I think doing a battery hand drill like we used for the stabilizer jacks would have done the job.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift