Old 08-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #21
Incheon, S. Korea

Do you have the eco-boost version? That Flex looks like it would be a rocket!

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #22

Man, sorry I asked about your tv. And a F350 dually would be some overkill I can see people asking you where you lost the rest of your camper when you pull into the campground.
I just had never considered the Flex for that kind of a task and was wondering if you knew the potential issues. I had the same issues when I was shopping around for my TV. I really liked the seating and space in my minivan and my day to day needs did not suit me to have a truck as well. So yes, I have payload concerns for my vehicle, but I know the issues, pay attention to it and my TV is serving me extremely well. It is a best fit for your situation that you have to find and it sounds like you know enough to figure what will work safely for you. and that HW277 is a great choice.

Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #23

First, let me apologize if my recommendation was taken the wrong way. I am not that terribly familiar with the specs on a Flex, but it may very well be beefy enough to do the job. I have known others who have towed with a Flex and seem to be happy with it. And if you have a F250 as a back-up plan, I'd say you are good to go. I have been TV deficient in the past, and it was not a pleasant towing experience, so that is where I am coming from. So please, don't hang the weight police badge-of-shame on me.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Do you have the eco-boost version? That Flex looks like it would be a rocket!
Don't have the eco-boost but I was going to trade up to that when the 2015 model is released. I figured I would save some money by buying a cheaper version since making the car payment was unexpected. After I buy this trailer, that may change. If power is an issue while towing it the ecoboost will solve that. If its a handling issue I will go for a larger more capable vehicle. I have towed a 23ft Jayco trailer with it and it handled great. Didn't take it to a high elevation, but had a nice cross wind and the Flex's electronic steering compensated for it and it did great. My Firestone Ride-Rite kit helped keep it all leveled out.

Oh and no need for apologies. I asked for opinions. I may end up choosing a different tow vehicle just because of all the points brought up. On a side note, most people don't even know what the Flex is so that keeps it a bit original in a sea of crossovers, and also may be its demise due to a lack of advertising. But drive one and I can assure you you will fall in love. Now whether it will meet my needs once I get this trailer and load it with the essentials is yet to be determined. Time will tell.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #25
Incheon, S. Korea

The Flex's in Korea only have a four-cylinder engine. They look neat!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #26

I believe it is only sold in North America and Canada. I'm gonna try to look it up.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #27

I would be interested in knowing how the Flex works out for you. I see a couple on the road but never towing. When I was researching my new TV and talking to the Ford dealer, he said it was a shame the Flex would not do as it was a really nice ride. But then I had told him I was looking for a 7000 lb tow capacity, so maybe that ruled it out at the time and the 2010 Explorer was about all they had that was not a pickup truck that would do that. But Ford then redesigned the Explorer in 2011 and it now only does 5000 lbs, so it got crossed off of the list of possibilities then too.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #28

[IMG][/IMG]I got a 2014 HW296 and my 4bike rack on it ,it bolts on and bike rides fine.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulikeitracing64 View Post
I guess if I want to be extremely safe on tow weight I should just get a F450 Dually and call it a day. I guess its just a balance between what you want to drive, what you want to tow, and what you use your vehicle for when you're not towing. I am a avid car enthusiast and spend a good deal of my free time researching, working on, and customizing vehicles. I also have a busy life toting around my daughters and all the other family things. I "need" to own a safe reliable vehicle. I "want" to have a trailer and other such toys. Finding a balance is important. Whether it be financially or a simple matter of taste. I love tent camping but we as a family are ready to upgrade. I don't see getting anything bigger or "fancier" until my kids are grown and gone. I'm gonna start to process of finding us a HW277. Even with that thing loaded to the gills and with my passengers I will have decent amount of weight to stay under the vehicles GCVW. I have access to a 2013 F250 to tow with if I have issues with my current TV. Now the fun begins. Can't wait till I get it. Sorry for the rant....
Not to overrun this thread but DW and I are planning to upgrade to a roo soon and will be selling our HW277. PM me if you are interested.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #30

I recently upgraded from a popup to a hybrid and in the process upgraded tow vehicles. I learned a lot about tow ratings and am still learning about real life towing the more trips we make. I have read here about the tow capacity of your Flex however there are two more numbers that should be looked at:

1. GCWR (combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer)
2. GVWR (tow vehicle weight…be sure to include the tongue weight of your trailer)

Both are as important as as the tow capacity and other ways of seeing the match between tow vehicle and trailer. I have not heard any mention of the GCWR and only a scant mention of the GVWR of your Flex and the added weight the popup tongue weight will pile onto that.

The picture I have included is from your Flex owners manual.
Tow Capacity: 4500
GCWR: 9357 – 9622 (depending on your Flex)

Lets look at each number:

Tow Capacity: We know from your manual of your Flex that it can in terms of a dead pull it has the capacity to pull it.

GCWR: Reading thru other HW296 owners posts here your camper will easily be at that 4500 weight when towing. I had to replace the axle on my popup because I routinely went well over the GVWR of the popup. This was before I knew about weights and scales. Minus the 4500 from 9357 or 9622 and you are left with the maximum weight of your flex. Check that sticker out on the drivers door to see your empty weight and better yet take it to the scales to see what it weighs with a full tank of gas and passengers inside.

The numbers are important as they are a guide to tell us if we have a good match between trailer and tow vehicle. I upgraded vehicles for my current setup. Even with the upgrade I am at the max of my numbers most trips and that is with my fresh water tank empty. Get your Flex to the scales for some hard numbers and run all the numbers not just the tow capacity. All of this talk is just that…talk…until the numbers are run and then its only numbers until you actually get out and pull the thing. My numbers are at the max and it feels like its at the max. I wish I had more capacity plain and simple.

I love the HW campers btw. I was lamenting how difficult the pull is for us now and my wife threw out the idea of down sizing to a HW that I’ve gushed about to her. I let her know that loaded up our Roo is only 1200 lbs more than a HW loaded.

They sure look like beautiful campers! I gotta get out and see one in person. I have two questionis: Is the canvas permanently attached is the lift mechanical or manual? Keep the updates coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlexTowing.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	37498  

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood