Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #1

Just a few questions about the Rockwood HW296

So as I'm new to pop-up camping I had a few questions about them. In particular the Rockwood HW296. I was curious how and where is the usable storage in this unit? Also curious about the 4 bike rack, It is mentioned as a option on the website, does anyone have it and is it decent? Also what about things like firewood, chairs, etc. As a tent camper I'm used to packing these in my vehicle and firewood usually on one of those tow hitch cargo racks. I like to take some wood with me as I have access to it for free. Is there room for it or do I need one of those safari racks on my tow vehicle. Also how essential is a cover if I plan on storing it outside. (no snow where I live, only hot summers and rain) Any other tips, essentials, or pet peeves I should know about would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #2

I can't speak for the bike rack, as we don't have one, but as for storage, it is minimal. There are small storage areas under the sofa, under the microwave, and under the dinette. All of these are accessible from the outside as well as inside. I would not recommend them for firewood since they do have inside access and you will introduce dirt and creeping crawlies into the camper. Larger items like chairs, etc. we just lay in the floor inside the door. Note the "sofa table", as shown on the floorplan, is simply a small table with folding legs and is not permanently attached, so it is not in the way of using that area for storage while traveling. Since we tow with a pick-up, that solves a lot of the cargo issues.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #3

Have you seen one in person? It sounds like you need to look through several of the different floor plans. Do not have a bike rack, so can not really speak on that, but from the pics, it looks like it fits on the HW256G with the front trunk space. Not sure how it fits on the other models. And a roof top bike rack - oh my - I would never be able to get the bikes up that high.

Storage experience, I find the storage pretty good in my HW 277 and that is with a 14 foot box as compared to the 16 foot box of the HW296. We fit quite a bit of stuff in it (make me wonder about my weights). Chairs, roll up table, cords, and the tire chocks all fit in the dinette seats with outside access. The bathroom can hold a large bin, the hanging pantry/wardrobes, fold up clothes rack and a three step ladder. The floor space in front of the bathroom fits a external waste water tank like a blue boy and a narrow folding table and a fold up canopy/screen room. Under the dinette table, the grill and water hoses fit. The floor in front of the door can hold several bins or the cooler. Under the stove, we have a milk crate that holds the pots and pans. There is also some storage under the sink, and the drawers are adequate - though there are only two of them. One thing to consider, the location of the fridge - and access to it when the camper is closed up - that is one item that made us pick the 277 -it is easy to turn on and fill up when the camper is closed so I do not always need to bring a cooler. With all that, we still have stuff in the car - (after all we are a bunch of gals )

One of the biggest space things when in use is getting the hanging pantry and wardrobe. We got two of the wardrobes - and put one in the bathroom as we use the bathroom as a closet. That way,there is a wardrobe for the front bunk and one for the back. And I absolutely love the amount of counter space we have.
My dollars worth
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

I have been checking out that model as well. I love the idea of the pull out kitchen and the fridge access. Not sure if not having the tandem axles is a bad thing. The prices are very similar too. I am in the research stage but should be ready to purchase very soon. Just want to know what I'm getting into. I have three daughters 4, 10, and 13 and they love to bring friends so I want to have something rather roomy.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #5

fully understand. That pull out outside kitchen was the other deciding factor and that we wanted the U dinette. We use it ALL the time and love it. We have had a max of 6 people sleeping in the camper, but usually camp with 4. With using the dinette as a bed, we often leave it as the bed and use the picnic table - and that is where the outside kitchen really works well. Can get breakfast started and leave the girls with their beauty sleep. We did reinforce the dinette bed as the table sits on one narrow strip of wood on each of three sides, each strip held in with a couple of screws. (we did break it -but were able to fix it.) and added some vertical wood strips to act as support legs for the table support strips.
Are you planning on pulling that with the Flex? Does that have the towing power and payload for a HW 296 - The HW296 is a bit heavier.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #6

I have a sport rack with 5 bikes work great. I have a rockwood 2317g with a front storage box and have a lot of storage under dinette and under rear couch. All with outside storage access bag chairs go in the rear duffle bags under one dinette bench and kitchen items and stuff under other. Plates and forks and measuring cups in the cabinet by door. Sleeping bags with bag chairs. Big chairs grill and cooler in back of tow vehicle. More room in them then you think.
Marines0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #7

I also like the u table. The Flex has a max towing of 4500lbs and 450 tongue. I got the factory tow package. The explorer which is nearly the same vehicle tows 5000. We would be right about there fully loaded. It also has trailer sway control and is prewired for the trailer brakes. From what I understand they tow really well. I am leasing so I will either be upgrading to the ecoboost version or (if/when its released) the diesel durango. If they make the purposed Jeep Grand Wagoneer(jeep badged durango) maybe that.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #8

I'm glad they have a decent amount of room for everything. I like to travel prepared but also want to keep the 7 passenger seating in my vehicle. Just don't want to drive a suburban any more.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #9

You may be a bit lite on the tow capacity with that Flex for the camper you are looking at. I did that. I towed the first year with a Grand Caravan and was at tow capacity. Always had to take two cars. Did not take long to start looking at a better TV. I wanted no less than 7000 lbs tow capacity so I had extra capacity and the total gvw of the camper is 3800 lbs. I still have to pay attention to what I load in the durango. If you estimate the tongue weight to be 10 to 15% of the camper weight, the tongue could be 380 to 570 lbs. I have a 1400 lb payload, so I have only 830 lbs for people and stuff in the car. We are easily 500 lbs with just passengers. Just be sure to run the numbers and do not take the word of the salesman. You want to be safe on the road.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #10

Very true. Been doing some calculations. Would be ok with a fully loaded HW277 and passengers in the Flex. Plus the wife loves the outside kitchen and fridge access. I will probably get something with a slightly larger capacity when this lease is up.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #11

You sound like a careful guy and are giving thought to the correct items.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulikeitracing64 View Post
Very true. Been doing some calculations. Would be ok with a fully loaded HW277 and passengers in the Flex. Plus the wife loves the outside kitchen and fridge access. I will probably get something with a slightly larger capacity when this lease is up.
I got curious as I never considered the Flex as a TV - and looked at the web site. I assume you are looking to a weight distributing hitch set up as that is where those weights are listed. You mentioned bikes earlier in this thread, are they included in your weight considerations? Do keep in mind, it is not recommended to put bike racks on the back bumper of these campers, so a bike rack would go on the TV. I have thought of various versions of a hitch bike rack using a hitch extender to my using my current piggyback style rack and end up bringing a second vehicle when we want to bring bikes.
Oh my! All the stuff we cart along to have a good time -it is all weight ain't it....
Old 08-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #13

No way would I pull a Hw with a flex. Ask the dealer ship to let y o u pull the trailer 1st then you might get what we are talking about.
Marines0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #14

Looks like you are getting conflicting opinions on the amount of storage space. I am saying "minimal" and GalsofEscape is saying lots of storage space. I guess it is a matter of perspective. We have bucked the trend of probably 99% of camping people as our previous camper was a full-size travel trailer. Seems like everyone always up-sizes as they go through the evolution of tent - popup - travel trailer - 5th wheel. Personally, I was getting tired of sending some Saudi prince's kids through college everytime we went camping, so we downsized to something more economical to tow. So anyway, I was looking at storage space from the perspective of a full-size TT. So let me back up a bit...in the pop-up universe these high walls have considerable storage space. A lot more than we ever had in our previous pop-up before the TT. It was a Coleman Sea Pine, and storage space was pretty sparse. Actually, any space was pretty sparse since it was only a 10' box. We look back on that now and wonder how in the heck we ever fit in that little pup, especially given that was when our 2 kids were still at home and went with us camping, and even brought friends from time to time.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulikeitracing64 View Post
It sounds like you have a good handle on things. People generally run out payload long before anything else when towing things. In most vehicles, it's almost impossible to hit the "towing capacity" due to people weight, stuff you carry in the vehicle and then tongue weight.

Learn To RV: What Can I Tow?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marines0811 View Post
No way would I pull a Hw with a flex. Ask the dealer ship to let y o u pull the trailer 1st then you might get what we are talking about.
I wasn't going to say anything as I have already been chastised on this forum and accused of being "weight police" when I suggested someone's TV was a little out of it's league towing a HW. But since you have broached the subject, I will put in my $0.02 worth. I would not recommend anything other than a vehicle with body-on-frame construction and live rear axle to tow a HW, particularly one with a 16' box. The HW296 has a GVW of nearly 4600# and it's closed-up towing length is over 21', which puts it in the realm of needing a truck or truck-based SUV to tow it. You can see in the signature line what we are towing with, and yes it is overkill, but I never have to worry about trucks passing us or cross-winds or climbing a long grade, etc. That 4600# is a long ways from the rated tow capacity of 10,100#.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 08-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #17

I completely understand these towing needs and requirements. I have towed many things. I also don't want to put my family in jeopardy. Towing with a body on frame is better but not an essential. The flex was designed to tow the advertised weights and I know several people that tow at near full capacity with no issues and great perceived control. I will most likely be going with the HW277 for more reasons then just weight. I also will equip it with any and all devices or accessories that will help me tow safer. If I don't feel comfortable towing with it I will be down at the dealership getting something bigger. ;-) I greatly appreciate all the advice, rest assured I will take it all in. You can ALWAYS learn something new.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #18

Good to know that you are not a stranger or newbee to towing. May you have many happy trips with the rig you end up with. Now, I am packing up my HW277 for a week at the beach. I am on vacation. Yippee!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Good to know that you are not a stranger or newbee to towing. May you have many happy trips with the rig you end up with. Now, I am packing up my HW277 for a week at the beach. I am on vacation. Yippee!
Thank you. Have a great trip!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #20

I guess if I want to be extremely safe on tow weight I should just get a F450 Dually and call it a day. I guess its just a balance between what you want to drive, what you want to tow, and what you use your vehicle for when you're not towing. I am a avid car enthusiast and spend a good deal of my free time researching, working on, and customizing vehicles. I also have a busy life toting around my daughters and all the other family things. I "need" to own a safe reliable vehicle. I "want" to have a trailer and other such toys. Finding a balance is important. Whether it be financially or a simple matter of taste. I love tent camping but we as a family are ready to upgrade. I don't see getting anything bigger or "fancier" until my kids are grown and gone. I'm gonna start to process of finding us a HW277. Even with that thing loaded to the gills and with my passengers I will have decent amount of weight to stay under the vehicles GCVW. I have access to a 2013 F250 to tow with if I have issues with my current TV. Now the fun begins. Can't wait till I get it. Sorry for the rant....

Tags
rockwood