Old 04-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #31
Good price on the generator.

The other day I picked up my gasket kit for the carb and asked the service guy if it was necessary to adjust for altitude. He said most people don't and as I thought, if you go up your ok, but if you have it adjusted for high altitude and then go down, it can run too hot and MIGHT cause damage.

I know from personal experience, I have camped up to around 10K a few times and never had a problem running the generator. And living out here in the mountain state, you an go higher and lower than 6K on the same trip. I live at approx. 4400 feet, and I can easily top 6K in less than two hours to some great camping areas. So, if I was to switch every time I went up and down; I'd wear out the carb bolts.

Also, as I found out, when you rebuild the carb, the o-ring on the fuel bowl is not reusable as Honda states (at least in my case). Thus, a trip to order a new gasket/o-ring kit.

And, don't believe Honda's statement about for under 6 month storage to just run the fuel dry (assuming you are running a fuel stabilizer). After two years of doing that, the main jet was basically plugged due to varnish buildup.

Honda's Manual for 2-6 months storage:
Fill with fresh gasoline and add gasoline
conditioner *. Run the engine for 10 minutes
to use up the non-treated gasoline.
Or drain the gasoline.

You need to not only run the fuel out, you also need to drain the fuel bowl; which takes about another two minutes.

Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #32
Solar Update:

I purchased the Renogy 100w Solar Suicase.
The battery installed by the dealer is a dual purpose marine battery with 65 AH. Not a true deep cycle.

I had the battery fully charged before departure, and when we got here to the campground, I checked it after I had completed set up. Friday at 3pm. It was reading 12.86 v. We ran the fridge on propane (still using DC to the control panel), the water pump as needed, minimal lighting, and had the furnace running at the lowest setting overnight.
Checked the battery at 8am today (Sat) =12.16 v

I hooked up the Solar Suitcase at 8am with little expectations, as it is extremely cloudy today. I haven't even seen the sun. It seems to be pushing anywhere from .8 - 2.3 amps in this heavy cloud cover.
Battery check at 11am shows 12.44 v. (I'm impressed)

Fingers crossed that it'll be topped off by nightfall.

Btw, we're in Assateague on the beach. Was expecting sun, but the weather rarely cooperates with my camping trips.

'07 Chevy Silverado
'07 Chevy Tahoe
'11 HW27sc
jw34 is offline   Reply With Quote