Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

Leak around front storage box deck

Hi all, this is my first post so I hope I do this right. I have a 1999 Forrest River Flagg Staff pop up. There is a storage area in the front of the camper and it has a hatch type lid along with two access doors on each end. My problem is a leak around the top hatch somewhere. I have re-caulked, and put a new rubber seal on but it still leaks. It seems to come in from the back and on one side. It appears to come in under the hatch frame lip and run down inside the lip frameand then inside the storage area where drips on the floor. Do I need to purchase a whole new hatch and hatch frame? Anyone had this problem that can tell me were to look for the leak?
Diver John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #2

I have never had this problem, however i have had a popup with the same type of storage unit, along with side doors. I would check along the back of the unit, where the hinge is ... as this is the place that sees most water when the unit is closed .. water will run down the roof, onto the box assembly, just behind the lid. Check for small hairline cracks on the lid itself .. or any cracking where the hinge is attached to the box. This should be looked after .. as it causes the front floor to rot ... and we dont want that.

hope this helps .. d-mo

can you provide pictures .. of the leak and the area?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #3

Failure to get a good seal can cause leaks from condensation as well. Use some painter other easily cleaned up marker on the seal edge to see where you aren't getting a good pressure seal and work from there. Close the lid and latch, wait a few seconds or about a minute, then open and cheek the seals for missing marker paint.

Might help find the issue anyway.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Thanks, D-mo your exactly right the leak seems to be coming from the back leaks down under the hatch lip frame then drips onto the floor and yes it rotted out. Fix that though. . I dammed water up behind the back lip today and not leaks so I'm inclined to think it may be the hatch as Jeep4 two suggested. Mine has several cracks. I'll try the seal test and let you-all know. May just have to but a new hatch. Thanks for the help. Diver John
Old 10-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #5

I've never tried to send pictures on a forum so I hope these come through. First: shows where the old hindge was located. 2nd: shows the current seal. It is mashed down in front because front latches draw it down and forward but pull it up in back. 3rd: shows bolts and wing nut I added to hold the back in place and seal it down Seems tight from inside but water still comes running through.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Mostly Harmless

For sealing the cracks take a look at "Capt. Tilley's Creeping Crack Cure." Funny name but it's a real product, originally developed for sealing ports on boats, but also works on many plastics and on fiberglass. You can search on that name on this forum and find a link to a dealer. That's what I did, and ordered some. I think it'll be handy to have around.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #7

Before you do any sealing ... locate the ends of your cracks .. and get a small drill bit and drill out the ends of the crack .. this will stop the crack from expanding. Then once that is done .. seal'er up with a good quality expanding RV sealant .. not available at home depote .. but at RV stores. Sounds like a little overkill on the sealant .. but his stuff is much more plyable than silicone .. and allows for plenty of movement.

d-mo
Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #8

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to order a new cover and seal. I have several cracks in the cover and I don't think it's worth trying to save. I am also going to pick up some of the sealent you two menitioned, to keep on hand. One question though, where do you get Captain Tolly's Crack sealent? I checked the internet and the only place I can find it is in Canada. Thanks for your help gave me direction on this.
Diver John.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Mostly Harmless

This is where I got mine:
http://www.epoxyproducts.com/capt.html
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #10

I had a Coleman /Fleetwood Utah with a front storage compartment like that and it also leaked. I determined that it came in at the rear center by the hinges, but I could never seal it up. I kept a basin in the compartment on the floor, and emptied it occasionally! Bought the camper used, and traded it in for more than I paid on my Flagstaff V lite! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #11

Well I finally broke down and went to my local camper dealer, who was very helpful, and they ordered me a whole new hatch unit. The hatch comes with the hatch already hinged to the lip and all they do is unscrew the old one and screw in the new. All for under $350. And it's done in a hour. So hopefully I can throw away my bucket and rags and all will remain dry. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. If this hatch hadn't been so far gone I think most would have worked. Anyway happy camping.