Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #1

leaking air conditioner opening?

I have a HW 277 and just opened it up to prep for a camping trip. Like last time, there was a puddle of water sitting in the center of the rear bed. I'm guessing that that water is coming in through or from around the air conditioner.

Have others had the same experience? I noticed that the roof seems to be dipping somewhat lower on the roof-middle side of the unit. I think that's new. I also leave the "cover" off the air conditioner in the summer and only put it on as part of winterizing the camper. Should I be leaving it on when ever it's not in use?

Thanks,
Ken

khackbarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #2

There is a foam gasket that seals the opening between the AC and roof. Take the interior grill down and check the four mounting bolts for snugness. You should be able to see the gasket and if it's not tight enough, you might see daylight. Do not over tighten bolts, just enough to make the seal.

latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:16 AM   #3
Coach

As was said, check out your foam gasket. Also check under the shroud and make sure all the drain holes are not clogged. Personally, I wouldn't remove the shroud (assuming that's what you're calling the cover) during operation. Just seems like an easier path for stuff to get into where you don't want it.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #4

The "cover" I was referring to is the white, vinyl covered, cloth bag thing that you can put over the shroud.

Along with a potential leak, it's not working. I can't get a good signal out of the cord from the bottom part of the camper to the roof on my 110v current tester so there may be an electrical problem as well. I'm planning to take it in for service after the camping trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
As was said, check out your foam gasket. Also check under the shroud and make sure all the drain holes are not clogged. Personally, I wouldn't remove the shroud (assuming that's what you're calling the cover) during operation. Just seems like an easier path for stuff to get into where you don't want it.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #5

Is it possible the water is condensation from a previous trip?
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by khackbarth View Post
The "cover" I was referring to is the white, vinyl covered, cloth bag thing that you can put over the shroud.

Along with a potential leak, it's not working. I can't get a good signal out of the cord from the bottom part of the camper to the roof on my 110v current tester so there may be an electrical problem as well. I'm planning to take it in for service after the camping trip...
That is interesting I did not know that they made a vinyl cover for the AC. Never seen one. of then course in 35 years never covered the AC.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
That is interesting I did not know that they made a vinyl cover for the AC. Never seen one. of then course in 35 years never covered the AC.

This sort of thing:
ADCO 3021 White RV Air Conditioner Cover
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002F68OU..._Kr0mDbP7SP8WV
Old 07-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Is it possible the water is condensation from a previous trip?
Possible but unlikely. I live outside of Denver which is VERY dry. It would have had to collect during the short time that I had the camper up next to my house long enough to unload it. Even then I've never experienced dripping inside the camper after turning off the AC...
Old 07-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #9

Taking the camper down this morning, getting ready to leave on a trip, I took a moment to look inside the camper after the rear bed had been pushed in. The inside housing of the AC is actually a few inches forward of the rear bed. If water had come directly in I would now expect it to have fallen on the dinette. So I'm totally confused. There's another opening back there - the opening for the roof fan. And also one for the vent for the toilet. I know that water can travel a long way before it comes through the ceiling so I'm totally confused. I just hate to think that water damage may be being done to my 2 year old camper roof...

Tags
air conditioner, leak