Old 04-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #1

Leaky seams

We just got home with our new Flagstaff 425D. This is our third pop up, but first non-Coleman/Fleetwood.

We were wetting down the canvas per everyone's instructions and found leaks in five places. All in the corner of a window of some sort (one in each bed end, one by the door, one in the dinette slide, and then all along the bay window). The water comes through the screen, then builds up between the screen and the plastic (or canvas, in the case of the bed ends), and then weeps through the seams into the camper itself.

We have soaked it twice (the bay window leaks showed up the second time around) and it is still leaking. I am planning on letting it dry and then soaking it again in a day or two to see if there is any change.

Assuming it is still leaking, we were thinking of heating up some beeswax we have left over from our first camper (the Rushmore didn't leak at all; finding parts was starting to be a bear) and using it to seal the seams. Should we just seal the seam on the inside of the canvas, put wax in between the screen and the plastic or canvas, both?

Thanks in advance.

And where does everyone find those cool little maps of America with the colored states for their signature lines?

John

2008 Honda Ridgeline
2014 Flagstaff Classic 425D
2014 nights camping: 26
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

Can't help with the leaks... Here's the maps.
Visited States Map: States Visited Map, Where I've Been Map, Colored Map of The United States, Map of States Visited.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

once you soak the seams, you're supposed to let them completely dry, not keeping wetting them.

but any tent seam sealer would work but if it's convenient, i'd take it back to the dealer if the swelled and dried threads didn't stop the seam leaks.

but you're sure it's not condensation forming on the inside of the canvas?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
once you soak the seams, you're supposed to let them completely dry, not keeping wetting them.

but you're sure it's not condensation forming on the inside of the canvas?
We let the camper sit for a few hours in the south Florida sunshine before soaking it a second time. To be sure, I am going to go back in a few days and try again.

However, it's most definitely not condensation. Water bubbles right in when you hit it with the hose. Stood there and watched it puddle while my son fired away outside.

And I guess the question is more about where to apply the wax as opposed to what to apply.

2008 Honda Ridgeline
2014 Flagstaff Classic 425D
2014 nights camping: 26
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak