Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #1

LED Tape Lights w/ Bag Awning

Has anyone installed those cheap LED tape light strips that have the color changing capabilities in conjunction with a bag awning? I just picked up this set from the Bezos Jungle, and the quality is average, the light output is adjustable, it has multiple color settings and it can flash to the beat of music, which is sure to annoy everyone within eyesight of my PUP. I was going to run the tape UNDER the awning bag, but when the awning is deployed, the back-half of the bag hangs in the way of where I was going to affix the tape. So now, IDK. I don't feel that it would be secure enough to affix in a wind-exposed area. I have a feeling that this may become an indoor lighting feature and force me to find something else for the awning area. Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDS.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	180359  
Old 07-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #2

I bought two 8 foot blue leds from Ollie’s, and wrapped one around each support pole that connect to the pup on the ends of the awning.
Kwroton57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #3

I considered that, but I want something that I don't have to remove and put up each time. There are enough points to remember as it is. Once everything is set up and the awning is out, I just wanna flip a switch and start enjoying my beer, haha!
Old 07-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #4

I bought some this week, being delivered today from Amazon. Lol. I have a 2014 Flagstaff MAC 228 with a Dometic bag awning. Hoping to get them up this weekend so I can enjoy them next weekend. I got some 3M Automotive Grade double sided tape to help with the install. Not sure on the positioning currently - won't know till I do a few mock ups. If I end up having to drill into the "top" (side) I have a nice grommet that will help make it look as stock as possible. I can post up some things once I attempt this. Lol.
tcbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:10 AM   #5

Well this weekend I began my install of the LED strip lighting and hopefully you can learn from our mistakes! Not sure which kit you ended up going with - we got ours off Amazon, and it was terrible build quality! About 15-20 minutes into the build and once it was mounted to the 3M Automotive Quality double sided taped the wiring on the end that connects to the 4 pin adapter came completely off at the soldered points. Rather than dealing with trying to rig it myself I'm sending the whole unit back. I spent the next 30 minutes searching online for another type/brand that would be better quality and that was hard. Believe we found one - should be here tomorrow. So I'll check back once this one is delivered and installed. Hopefully we have more luck this time around.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbrady View Post
Well this weekend I began my install of the LED strip lighting and hopefully you can learn from our mistakes! Not sure which kit you ended up going with - we got ours off Amazon, and it was terrible build quality! About 15-20 minutes into the build and once it was mounted to the 3M Automotive Quality double sided taped the wiring on the end that connects to the 4 pin adapter came completely off at the soldered points. Rather than dealing with trying to rig it myself I'm sending the whole unit back. I spent the next 30 minutes searching online for another type/brand that would be better quality and that was hard. Believe we found one - should be here tomorrow. So I'll check back once this one is delivered and installed. Hopefully we have more luck this time around.

Check out the link i provided above. The quality feels good. And i think i can mount the control module on the inside of the box and simply drape the connector end of the wiring out through the canvas. Still undecided but got a better idea after this weekend’s first trip in the new PUP.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #7

I purchased some from Menards. They were about $20. Have been on our pup for 3 seasons now. We love them. No issue with the bag getting in the way. I guess I mounted then just low enough

tigger68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
Site Team

I installed 12'6" of multicolored led strip on my Rockwood. (Sold now)
I was advised to use 3M double sided tape to mount the strip. It worked. Only problem was that the controller is no water proof and when wet it gives incorrect colors when turned on. Such as, pressing blue may get you green or pink. Weird. But it was interesting.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger68 View Post
I purchased some from Menards. They were about $20. Have been on our pup for 3 seasons now. We love them. No issue with the bag getting in the way. I guess I mounted then just low enough

Were yours mounted to the shell of the PUP? Do you happen to have any photos of where you stuck them?
Old 07-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Banned View Post
Were yours mounted to the shell of the PUP? Do you happen to have any photos of where you stuck them?

My pup is at my in laws. I am camping this weekend and will post some close up pictures for you.

I purchased the outdoor deck lights. They advertise them as railing lights. DH didn't wire them to the switch as he hates working with electric, so ours just plug in. Also they had 3M strip on them AND come with screws. We just stuck them on and they have never come loose.

tigger68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #11

Here's where I mounted mine. Drilled a hole on the end and ran the wiring through there. Unfortunately didn't get a picture of that though. I'll grab one tonight or tomorrow. Overall, happy with the install and excited to get out and use them this weekend. Will report durability after a few trips.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LED Awning Strip 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	181161   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Awning Stip 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	181162  
Old 07-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #12

Nice, thanks for the pictures! I was thinking of running mine in about the same area, just above the "lip" moulding along the bottom edge of the roof cap. Now that I see how yours looks, I think I'll do it. I'm just concerned about the controller being waterproof...I'm not sure if it is. I supposed I could always cut the wires, drill a hole to run the wires through to the inside, add a waterproof grommet and 3M mount the module to the inside of the roof cap.

Hmm...decisions, decisions.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Banned View Post
Nice, thanks for the pictures! I was thinking of running mine in about the same area, just above the "lip" moulding along the bottom edge of the roof cap. Now that I see how yours looks, I think I'll do it. I'm just concerned about the controller being waterproof...I'm not sure if it is. I supposed I could always cut the wires, drill a hole to run the wires through to the inside, add a waterproof grommet and 3M mount the module to the inside of the roof cap.

Hmm...decisions, decisions.
So what I did is I bought a coaxial cable grommet (even though it's not "waterproof") and used that. I used 3M tape to attach that after I feed the wires through. Then I went ahead and used some silicone caulk and went around the grommet, in the hole, and around the wiring to protect that too. I'm happy with the outcome and think I achieved my "as close to factory" look I was going for. In terms of the controller, I plan to just attach that and then run the wiring when I set up/take down since I'll feed it along the support post where it will be covered up with canvas anyways. Might end up attaching the controller with 3M to the inside, but I think this way will work fine. I can attach a photo later on of the entry point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grommet.PNG
Views:	62
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	181203  

Tags
awning, led, light