Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Popup New Guy (PuNG)

Lessons Learned on my 2270 PUP

While spur of the moment camping trips are always fun and exciting, there are one or two things to keep in mind:

Do NOT allow your better half to distract you with minutia while connecting your battery that you had only recently charged while prepping for this spontaneous trip. Otherwise you might inadvertently place a red and white lead on the negative battery terminal resulting in....NOTHING when you place the automatic winch switch in RAISE at your campsite. Which brings me to this little bit of trivia....

How long does it take to raise the roof by hand cranking an automatic winch in manual override because your battery is completely dead? Well, I know...about half a freakin' hour of straight cranking! That thing moves in no more than quarter-inch increments for every 2-3 rotations of the manual overide shaft.

Lowering the roof in override is a bit quicker...only about 25 minutes because clockwise is a bit easier if you are right-handed.

Of course, ensure you have your better half around while you are doing this so she can constantly ask you how much longer and let you know that miswiring the battery was a foolish mistake.

In the end, the weekend at Fort Worden was fantastic. The kids and dog ran and played all day...and the fiddle music from the festival was fun to listen to.
djy887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #2

Sorry to hear. This is exactly why I didn't want the electric lift option. Only 40 cranks with the manual version, and it's not that hard to do either.
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Popup New Guy (PuNG)

My goal is to eventually get to a point where there are no more 'Lessons Learned'
djy887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by djy887 View Post
My goal is to eventually get to a point where there are no more 'Lessons Learned'
ROFL

A camping buddy of mine has the electric lift on their pop-up. He was telling me the story of where he raised the top too much and popped the fuse. He also said it took him a long time in 100 degree heat to manually lower it.

His lesson learned was to have a few spare fuses with him.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote