Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #1

let me tell you about my trip with a water pump question at the end

First some back ground. We usually stay at Texas State Parks and the occasional RV Park with friends, so we have some hookups (at least Water and Electricity). This past weekend we went to Padre Island National Seashore. I was going to try and camp on the beach, but after getting stuck in the sand I chickened out. I went to their parking lot (camp ground) and stayed there. They have no hookups on this camp ground. It is okay I was prepared, I had borrowed a generator and tested the water system before hand.

We had decent water pressure after I turned on the pump, so I thought it was okay. I noticed when we would turn on the water the water pump would surge and stop, surge and stop, until we turned the water off (i.e. it did not run continuously). I read here and many other locations about dry camping/boondocking. We practised (I thought) energy conservation. I only used one over head light at a time (we have 3). I ran the fantastic fan on low for a few hours. At night I turned everything off, except the water pump. In the morning I checked my battery with a DMM and it was less than 20% (11.1 volts) . I ran the generator for several hours (morning and evening) and got the battery back up to full (12.6+ volts). Checked it at night before bed, it was about 80% (12.4). The next morning it was lower than the morning before. Ran the generator some more to charge the battery.

That evening we checked something in the cabinet in front of the water pump and heard it humming. I thought that was odd. We turned the water pump off and checked the battery before bed. It was 90%, the next morning (with the water pump off) it was 80%.

My question is, shouldn't water pump only run when needed? Is there a pressure switch that could be defective?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Drinkin beer on the beach

My pump oscillates on and off more when there is air in the system somewhere. Usually in the shower head if somebody turned off the shower funny, or in the outside sink/hose.

Even with no air in the shower and running a sink, the pump will pump water faster than the sink lets it out, shut itself off for a second, then when the water pressure drops a bit, the pump kicks back on.

I've noticed my bathroom fan is an energy hog, not sure about the fantastic fan.

Don't forget, even if the water pump is on but not running, the lighted switch will run down the battery overnight.

Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the info about the pump cycling. I did not know that.

Does your hum when no water outlet (sink, shower, toilet, etc.) is not turned on? That is the part that bothers me the most. Our water pump switch is not lighted. The one for the water heater lights only when the water heater is heating the water.

The fantastic fan is supposed to use only 4A on high. I did not use it but maybe 1.5 hours that night on low. After that I only used it when the generator was running.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds as if your water pump is running all the time...is this correct?

It is not normal for the pump to run continously...it should only run when you are running water or as previously posted, until you get the air out of the system. If it does you may have a problem with the pumps pressure switch.

It will also run continous if you don't have any water in the tank or if you have a leak on the suction side of the pump. If you have a winterizing line to the pump, make sure that it's closed off.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizarr View Post

Does your hum when no water outlet (sink, shower, toilet, etc.) is not turned on? That is the part that bothers me the most. Our water pump switch is not lighted. The one for the water heater lights only when the water heater is heating the water.

The fantastic fan is supposed to use only 4A on high. I did not use it but maybe 1.5 hours that night on low. After that I only used it when the generator was running.

No, mine doesn't make any noise when its not actually running and pumping.

Occasionally during the night, it might kick on for a second to pump the system back up. But thats minimal, and I think it does that because the outside hose isn't turned off tightly.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizarr View Post

Mine was doing that a few months ago and it would hum and be REALLY loud when pumping. I cleaned out the screen before the pump and ran the system again. I'm chalking it up to air in my system. Ran a few tanks of water thru and not doing it now - but then again I have had hookups since then and haven't had to run the pump.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote