Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Campin With Grammy & Papa

Leveling

I have owned a Coleman PU for 25 years and last year bought a Rockwood HW277. Love it. Anyway, still have a bear of a time leveling the thing. Do I lift (jack up) the down hill wheel to level one way and adjust the tongue jack for the other way? Then lower stabalizers. I've always used the stabalizer jacks in the past. The Coleman was small and light and I got away with this then. The Rockwood is a beast (love it) and I need to do it right. Thank you, Scott

Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

lower jack down after unhooking. and chocked
put rear stabilizers down.
jack front jack back up higher then level.
then put front stabilizers down.
let jack back down till stabilizers rest on the ground , if to high in front then raise stabilizers if front is to low than lower stabilizers .
of course side to side is done by driving tires onto pieces of wood till side to side is level . and this should be done before front to rear is done .

Clear as mud ?

turbs

Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #3

On any larger travel trailer you should level from side to side by using blocks under the wheels. There are some blocks available to buy but I just bought a couple of pressure treated 2 x 6's and cut them into sections long enough to drive the trailer wheels up on. Once you get it level side to side then you can use the tongue jack to level front to back. Then put your stablizing jacks down. I have been doing this way for 10yrs. The jacks are only for stablizing however if I'm close, within a inch or less, then I will use the stabilizer to fine tune it. If you try to level using the stabilizers to pick the trailer up you run the risk of twisting the frame.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwreck68 View Post
On any larger travel trailer you should level from side to side by using blocks under the wheels. There are some blocks available to buy but I just bought a couple of pressure treated 2 x 6's and cut them into sections long enough to drive the trailer wheels up on. Once you get it level side to side then you can use the tongue jack to level front to back. Then put your stablizing jacks down. I have been doing this way for 10yrs. The jacks are only for stablizing however if I'm close, within a inch or less, then I will use the stabilizer to fine tune it. If you try to level using the stabilizers to pick the trailer up you run the risk of twisting the frame.

Its a pop up . most have different levelers then a tt or 5th wheel .
Old 02-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

Oops, sorry. Should checked that out before I opened my big mouth.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #6

Thanks turbo and trainwreck. Two other parts to this. I only chock the front of one wheel and the rear of the other. Should I be chocking front and back of each wheel? And should I use a stabalizer under the slide out? I read in the catalog (Camping World) on their support rod that it will save and lengthen the service life of my slide out (keep from sagging) and remove wobble from the trailer. The slide out is the dining room. A bit of weight around the dinner table. We be not small people. And are always at the dinner table. Thanks, Scott < My wife is Canadian
Old 02-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #7

"Once you get it level side to side then you can use the tongue jack to level front to back. Then put your stablizing jacks down."
That is correct.
Read the manual.
Many popup owners use a BAL light trailer tire leveler.
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

I suggest you visit Popupportal - fantastic, helpful people there.
PopUpPortal - Index
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #8

Thanks Twisty. I saw that jack on Camping World web site. Not sure if it would be worth a darn, but looks good. Went out last week for 3 days to Death Valley, going next month somewhere warm, I will be anxious to level the trailer correctly now. Thank you, Scott
Scott n Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #9

You're welcome, friend.
Those levelers work very well. I used one on the 2004 Utah that we had. Some people stow them in a pizza delivery bag!
Have fun!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #10

As I said in your other post, we put on a more heavy duty stabilizers- something like 7k lbs per unit- way over kill! 😝

We have a small bubble level on the fridge door for front to back and another on the diamond plate in the front for side to side. Get it level on the fridge first then mildly crank on a certain side on the stabilizers to get the side to side set.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote