Old 09-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #1

Lift system issues

I noticed today a couple issues with my camper (Rockwood HW277) lift system. When raising, once it got to the top and I let off the button, it would come down slightly (maybe 1/2 inch). More worrisome is when I went to lower it, it would continue coming down about a foot after I let off the power about 3/4 the way down.

Is the clutch brake wearing out?

Old 09-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #2

Confused, where is this clutch operated lift system located in your camper....auto level, stairs or the bed lift in a toy hauler?

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #3

It's a popup camper - Rockwood HW277
Old 09-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
I noticed today a couple issues with my camper (Rockwood HW277) lift system. When raising, once it got to the top and I let off the button, it would come down slightly (maybe 1/2 inch). More worrisome is when I went to lower it, it would continue coming down about a foot after I let off the power about 3/4 the way down.

Is the clutch brake wearing out?
The camper basically has a paper clutch sandwiched between two washers on the winch. It most likely just needs to be tightened a bit. Its about $65 to buy if its damaged/worn out because they sell the whole thing :/

Its under the double nuts in this photo. I had noted one of the 2 limit adjuster switches in the photo too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	215525
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #5

Thanks Flyerdp for the guidance!
Old 09-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #6

My mistake, it wasnt that much:

https://www.tesstools.net/Carefree_R..._p/r001759.htm

I forgot I got a couple other parts on that order.

To Adjust:
Hold the inner nut (closest to motor) with a hand wrench and loosen the outer one a bit. Once the two are loose slightly tighten the inner nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn and tighten the outer nut back up against the inner nut. Basically the inner nut makes the clutch tighter or looser and the outer one prevents it from changing. The purpose of
double nut:

The Use of Two Nuts to Prevent Self Loosening of Fasteners
Old 09-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #7

Flyerdp, your photo/guidance was very helpful! I took off the cover and went to examine the double nuts as you suggested. I discovered that the inner nut was quite loose - I could easily turn it with just my finger. So obviously the problem.

Question - how tight should it be normally? Do I just make it snug or need to make it really tight?
Old 09-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Flyerdp, your photo/guidance was very helpful! I took off the cover and went to examine the double nuts as you suggested. I discovered that the inner nut was quite loose - I could easily turn it with just my finger. So obviously the problem.

Question - how tight should it be normally? Do I just make it snug or need to make it really tight?
I'm sure there is a torque specification but I don't have it. If someone reading this has it please share as I wouldn't mid knowing too. I just kept adjusting it to the edge of beginning to slip closed when the motor stopped and gave it about 1/4 turn tighter. I ran it up and down a few times to ensure that it did not lower on its own after I got what I thought was a good tightness. If I recall I had to adjust it once more another 1/4 tighter after that cycle as it slipped a bit a couple of times during that test and then tested again until no slipping occurred.

The only concern would be too tight = too much wear when the motor is lifting the roof as that is when the clutch is forced to slip between the washers . When I put the new, clean clutch on I could see very very tiny bits of the paper shedding off the edge as it spun. Given that I knew that if it were too tight it would prematurely damage the "clutch" paper.

The only info I found was a reference to having to tighten/adjust it as it gets worn so I just assumed I would naturally have to do it again later and didn't worry too much about that torque spec.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Lol.. well found it here in the manual on page 11:

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...nch-Manual.pdf

CAMPER TOP LOWERS WITHOUT MOTOR
1. The folding camper winch uses a clutch
to maintain tension in the drive gears. If
the top slowly slips down, it will be
necessary to tighten the clutch.

2. Locate the clutch on the right side of the
winch.

3. Loosen the jam nut.

4. Tighten the inner nut approximately 1/8
of a turn.

5. Tighten the outer jam nut.

6. Retest and repeat as necessary.

So they say 1/8th turn
Old 09-23-2019, 08:58 PM   #10

Thanks. So if the adjustment is that small (1/8 turn) then would seem to imply the nut must be kept fairly snug. Guess I’ll just have to trial/error it as I attempt to dial it in.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks. So if the adjustment is that small (1/8 turn) then would seem to imply the nut must be kept fairly snug. Guess Iíll just have to trial/error it as I attempt to dial it in.
That's really all there is to it. If it was that loose though start with it butted up snug with the washers and then give it a bit of a turn before tightening the lock nut and testing. If you feel its too tight then loosen it 1/8 and try again.

Just remember cycling the roof up and down heats up the breaker at the battery so after a couple of cycles then let it cool for a bit and try again (thats in a manual somewhere)

Tags
lift