Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #21

Because the fridge has to be lit manually the pilot will blow out while traveling.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle dew View Post
To Labzy, yes ours went out on our last trip, don't think I will leave it lit while traveling again.

To Herk,
Yup, for $13,000 you get a furnace that lights automatically, a hot water heater you need to light the pilot with a lighter, a fridge with a clicker and a three burner range you light with a lighter, no clicker, those are on the hi end models. (lol)
I am SO SORRY! (really)
Never had a popup with a fridge in it. I rented a tent camper in 1976 for 2 weeks in Utah. It had no fridge and no range. We lived out of a cooler and cooked on a charcoal grill.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #23

Please, no offense taken or implied. I enjoy talking with you, your threads have been very helpful on MANY occasions. It is a pleasure to finally get to talk to you. I tend to have a sarcastic sense of humor that comes off better in person than in writing. I really have not been offended by anything, really, and I hope you didn't think I was, hence the happy smiley faces, just enjoying the conversation.
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #24

I had the same problem when I owned a popup with your model of refrigerator. I could never see the flame during the day, even when looking through the so-called viewing port. I tried holding a short piece of conduit up to the burner area and looking through it to determine if the flame was lit, but that method was pretty hit and miss. The procedure that worked best for me was to hold the pilot knob in the depressed position with a clamp for 2 to 3 minutes and then hit the spark igniter. When I heard the definite “swoosh” sound of the gas igniting, the burner was lit. This could be confirmed a short time later by warming of the “chimney.” Operating the gas stove prior to lighting the refrigerator can often speed up the process.
Al Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #25

Regarding the flame blowing out while towing, don’t you have the option of running your refrigerator on 12V DC? That’s the way I operated ours to keep the refrigerator cold while traveling. If so, remember to turn off the refrigerator if you will be stopped for a prolonged period of time or you run the risk of seriously depleting your battery.
Al Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
To add another question to this thread - has anyone had the fridge pilot light go out while towing?
Kim,
We've not had this problem. I don't think that's typical, though.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Fresco View Post
Regarding the flame blowing out while towing, don’t you have the option of running your refrigerator on 12V DC? That’s the way I operated ours to keep the refrigerator cold while traveling. If so, remember to turn off the refrigerator if you will be stopped for a prolonged period of time or you run the risk of seriously depleting your battery.
I think many or most TTs now-a-days have a two-way fridge (AC and gas only). The last three-way (AC, DC, and gas) we had was in a pop-up.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote