Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

looking for HW2516G info

Hi everyone, new to the site. I am going to look at a 2005 Rockwood HW2516G tomorrow and did a google search on it and can find almost nothing out there on this particular model. looking for any past issues people have come across of things to look for in general on this model. This will be our second popup so I do know what to look for on a used one, just came up empty on this one...

Thanks!
Darren
DieselLibertyCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #2

I have a 2015 Forest River Rockwood Premier 2516G, and it's *not* a High Wall. Was the 2516G a High Wall back in 2005, or is that simply a miscommunication in the model number you posted?

Ours has shower/cassette-toilet, furnace, 3-way fridge, air conditioning (an aftermarket option), a 35A converter, water heater, sink, outside shower, bbq grill, slide-out dinette, fold down gaucho (sofa/twin-bed), 70x80 forward bunk, 60x80 rear bunk, the dinette converts into a 43x72 bunk. My lights are LED, but that became standard equipment in the 2015 model year. I have dual propane, and upgraded to dual batteries.

The roof is reinforced with internal steel beams to support an air conditioner. It uses a power lift. The galley is fold-down with a 3-burner stove and sink. The mattresses have warmers built-in (which don't seem to do much). There's a water pump and filter built in (under the gaucho), so it does have pressurized water. The freshwater tank is 20 gallons. The cassette toilet has a 6-gallon holding tank. There are no grey water tanks.

We like the floorplan, though it would be better if the gaucho were forward instead of aft, because in its current location it faces the galley instead of facing the cabinet where someone might want to set a television. But that's a really minor consideration -- we never bring a TV anyway.

This unit has the forward storage compartment that is accessible from outside, either from two side doors, or from on top. That's convenient. Our GVWR is about 3200 pounds, and with the options we have installed, that leaves about 600 pounds available for "stuff".

The one you're considering is ten years old, so verify that the roof is in tact, and that there are no signs of water intrusion or rot. Verify the canvass is in good shape, with no tears, no rot, and so on. Make sure the door installs properly. Verify that the floor isn't rotten, that the water heater's anode is ok (which will help you ascertain if the water heater has been cared for), and check the plumbing to make sure it isn't split from freezing. Check the toilet to verify its water pump works, as well as the main plumbing's water pump.

On an older trailer you may expect that the batteries are on their last leg. You'll probably be looking at replacing it (or them). The propane tanks may be approaching the end of their certification (which I think is 12 years), so you may need to recertify them or replace them. Certification is a little inconvenient, and is only good for an additional five or six years before you have to do it again.

Expect that the freshwater system will need a thorough flush and cleaning. And expect to find that you need to re-caulk some of the roof fittings. If it's been stored under a cover or in a garage, that's best. If it's been left out in the elements, really really pay close attention to the roof.

Run the lift up and down a few times to make sure it operates smoothly. Expect that it will need lubrication. Assume that the water heater's anode is probably nearing its end of life (they're sacrifical -- you're supposed to replace them every couple of years, and they're not expensive). Don't be surprised if there are a few burned out bulbs. But do be alarmed if water has gotten into any of the interior fixtures (this would indicate water intrusion in the roof).

The frame may need to be sanded and repainted, but that's usually not a deal breaker. Check the brakes! Check the tires. Check the break-away switch is in tact. Look for water intrusion around the forward storage compartment.

Run the furnace, run the stove, run the water heater, and turn on the fridge in propane mode to verify that after 20 minutes the fins at the back are warm to the touch.

You can tell the difference between the high wall and a standard wall by looking at the galley configuration. If the galley has to be folded down before the pup is lowered, that's a standard wall. High Walls don't require the galley to be folded down. High walls may also have a microwave, a larger fridge, and hard-side bathroom instead of a shower curtain / privacy curtain.
davido_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

Here are a couple photos of the inside. The galley is not a fold down and has an oven, I've only seen that on the high walls....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #4

You're right then! That IS a high wall. Cool.

Looks like it has a slide-out dinette, but your galley is where my gaucho is located. My galley is on the opposite facing wall. My toilet is forward of the door.

I think for the most part the same advice stands. You'll also want to check out the oven to see that it works, and the microwave. You'll still want to verify that door fits correctly. And if the bathroom has hard walls, you'll want to set them up to make sure that they still fit correctly (if they didn't, that could be indicative of a problem with the lift system or roof alignment).

That looks like a great pup! I love the extra counter space versus the swing-galley version. The canvas (from what I see of it) looks pretty good too.

Is the battery sitting on top of the lift winch? That's the first time I've seen that. I wonder where you would put a 2nd battery if you were to decide to add more capacity.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

That looks a lot like my old 2005 HW256. There were no photos of the other end of the camper so I am not sure what model that is. But that unit definitely looks like a HW and I thought the 2516 was a non high wall.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #6

Just looked up a HW256 and it looks like the same Floor plan. Almost all I could find online about a HW2516g was this video on YouTube of someone selling Thiers..

Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #7

Did you check RV Trader for some national listings? You would think someone has a 2516 for sale.

If it is a HW256, you will love it. That front storage area alone is a reason to buy it.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 02-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

It looks like the interior of my 2009 HW27SC. We love it. Spent a month traveling around Arkansas last Oct. Did have a leak around the ceiling fan and had to replace the top side board after I bought it. Be sure to carefully check all areas for leaks.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #9

As far as I can tell it looks like a carbon copy of a HW256. I have an email into forest river Rock wood to see if they can give me any additional info on it. Its not even listed in the NADA guide for pricing. I'm wondering if it was a certain dealer specific model?

Old 02-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #10

Any updates Diesel?

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 02-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #11

Have a time scheduled to look at it this coming week on Tuesday. Will update the post after I give it a good look over. One thing I did notice in the video I linked to earlier is that from digging around on the net, the hw256 didn't have a grey holding tank but rather just a side drain port. In the video of the lady selling hers I swear I see a second tank and a blade valve by the steps... Only way to see for sure is when I take a look at it..

Old 02-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #12

Might be black-water, not gray. Or it may have both.

The current generation of High Walls have a blackwater tank for the toilet. I'm not sure about gray water.

My 2516G "Premier" (standard wall) doesn't have gray, and for the toilet, it has a slide-out cassette that holds about 6-gallons of the nasty stuff. It's very easy to dump.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #13

Went to take a look at it last night and in a week it will be coming home with me. It does have a grey tank for the shower however it does look pretty small. The brochure that rockwood sent me when I asked about the HW2516G was for the HW256. It does say 6 gallon grey tank but I have seen people say during my googleing that the HW256 didnt have a grey tank in 2005, maybe that is the difference.. We are excited to bring it home even though its 13 degrees outside right now...
Old 02-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #14

Congratulations and time to start planning all planning all those camping trips....
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote