Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
Larry T

Looking for outside stove

I just acquired a 2005 Forest River Flagstaff pop-up. I notices it has a mounting rail on the outside wall with a quick connect gas connector below it. I would like to find a cooking stove to use outside. Are these available? Does anyone know where I can find one compatible?
larryt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

Camping world. Most RV dealers would have. Try your local RV dealer first, probably have it in stock. However, they is not cheap!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #3

When we had a popup (Jayco), the rail outside was used to relocate the stove inside for cooking outside. Just a thought.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

You can look on eBay for a Sidekick.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #5

We ordered the grill option with our cadet and got an Aussie Grill with an Aluminum stand and it plugs into the trailer. It's light and easy to carry around. At first it seemed cheaply made but after using it a while we love it. Will get another one when this one burns out. We got the black metal one but it also comes in stainless steel. Really worth a look see.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

I had the same problem, a Flagstaff 228D with a hard-mounted inside stove. The rail-mount outside stoves are very expensive, so I bought one of these small butane stoves and love it!

I am planning on making a shelf to attach to the camper rail where the stove/BBQ would go and put the butane stove on that.
matwiyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #7

You just missed it. I still had the old one from my popup in the garage (new trailer came with a new grill and I just kept the old one for parts in case something went wrong) up until about a week ago. Gave it away.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #8

Life is a series of compromises...

When we had a Coleman WestLake PUP, we never used the inside stove, only the outside. Wife doesn't like to cook inside, and she worries about bears. I ended up rebuilding the platform it mounted on because the original particle board disintegrated. Even with the rebuild, there were issues:

- cleaning wasn't easy. It didn't disassemble in an easy-to-clean fashion.

- the gas line on the camper seldom has the full pressure that non-RV camp stoves like to use. So you have to use something made for the lower pressure (much higher cost).

- cooking against the side of the camper is OK if you have aluminum exterior, not so good if it's a different material. Under the awning is nice, but a table or prep surface is normally not as close to the camper side as would be handy.

With the move to an A-frame camper this year, we store the unused outside grill that came with the camper in the garage, along with the port-a-potty. We use a 2 burner LP camp stove with the disposable bottles at the picnic tale (under an EZ-up). We are much happier with this arrangement. FWIW, it's not a Coleman stove because all the Coleman camp stoves I have owned have developed propane leaks at either end of the metal fuel line that is external to the stove. I have a stove I picked up in Canada decades ago that works wonderfully at all altitudes.

We carry a griddle, raised ridge griddle with grease trap to simulate a grill, frying pan, and 2 pots for cooking duties.

just our thoughts, choices, and experiences; yours may differ
Keeping it simple...
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan with WDH/anti-sway
camped 4 weekends so far this year, Labor Day in Ridgway is next
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #9

My Highwall popup came with an exterior RVQ grill that used the quick connect low pressure outlet.

I share pgandw's reservations on cooking below the awning and up against the camper next to the canvas. I never really wanted my hamburger grease all over the canvas and awning.

I have a small Weber Q grill that I place on the picnic table away from the awning. I find that to be fairly easy.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #10

We bought a low pressure Camp Chef stove and an RV connection hose to use the quick connect. I don't use the legs on the stove, as it sits on a table under the awning. The stove was $120 at Gander Mountain and I ordered the hose directly from Camp Chef.

http://www.campchef.com/weekender-two-burner-stove.html
http://www.campchef.com/rv-connection-hose.html
ontario_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #11

We bought a campchef camp oven. Cooks up to about 450 degrees inside the oven with 2 burners on top. Got it at Costco for about $179. The unit works great and is efficient on propane.
MrThursdayNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #12

Harbor freight has a SS 2 burner with a griddle for less than $100
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote