Old 02-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
Looking to buy 2008 HW27 S-C

I have never camped in anything but a tent.

I am looking at buying a one owner 2008 model Flagstaff High Wall camper. 27SC model...

It appears to be in superb condition and very clean. It has a lot of amenities and just had a service/check out at a local RV shop for about $500.

I am looking at purchase price of $5000.00

Anything I need to specifically ask the owner? Anything I need to look at closely?

Thank you for any assistance. Hope my first go round is a decent one.

Thanks, Walker

MPDCOP353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
You will get plenty of advise so I will just pass along one small tip. Check inside all the cupboards and storage areas. Many years ago,we bought a beautiful used camper. little did we know there was a small leak in a corner. It would seep in at the back of a top cupboard. We found it and no serious damage but it took awhile to figure out. Not the end of the world, but glad we got it fixed.

2015 Windjammer 3029 Diamond Edition
Hemi powered by 2011 Ram, 5.7 gas crew cab
Ohio River Rats and two spoiled dogs

2015 Windjammer 3029 Diamond Edition
2011 Ram 5.7 hemi
Ohio River Rat
2015 camping:59 nights
2016 camping: 49 nights with many more planned
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Look high and low and everywhere in between for signs of water damage. Check for mold, and for soft spots on the walls, ceiling and floor.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
hw are nice enjoy...price seems a bit high for unit that is 8yrs old.
ken and denise
2015 shamrock23ss
2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra
diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.
2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
If all looks good and your happy with the condition of camper and the price, than go for it!! Ask owner to do a complete set up and tear down so you can be familiar with the process (video the process if possible). Good luck and enjoy!!!!

2014 Flagstaff 228 BH
2006 Ford F-150
JPBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #6
Thank you all for the responses so far. I am going to look at it tomorrow and will keep all of this in mind.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #7
Get under it and see if there is any rust on the frame and I don't mean surface rust.

Check the hitch for rust and look under and inside it for worn part that clamp the hitch ball.

Make sure they raise and lower it in front of you and see how it raises and lowers. Is it jerky or fairly smooth. Ask how often they have lubed the cable tracks under the trailer and if they have ever lubed the inside of the spring conduits.

Make sure the beds slide out smoothly from the body and get under and look at the bed platforms.

(This also gives you an idea on how to set it up and take it down.)

Check all the electrical with the AC plugged in. All electrical outlets should work, overhead lights, ceiling fan (if there is one) AC, etc. With it up and ceiling lights on have them move the sink down and see if the shut off switch shuts off the lights on the ceiling.

If there is a battery, disconnect the AC and make sure the ceiling lights still work (outlets won't).

Have then put some water in the tank and check for leaks and that the water pump works and drain flows ok.

Turn on the heat and see if it works with the battery.

Check the stove burners.

Hard to check the fridge for all systems. Most are three-way, AC/DC and Propane.

If you get it, here is a setup tutorial...
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
I think you are wise to buy used for your first venture into a camper. With a minimal investment you will discover the likes and dislikes, the things you want and don't want. Most of all take it out camping, and have fun. We bought used, took it on a 10,000 mile shakedown trip. Upon returning traded it for exactly the unit and features we wanted. Have a great time, see ya at the campground !m
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
I have a 09 27SC and we love it. We have made two extended trips (1 month and 1 1/2 months) and found it to be easy to pull and very comfortable. You have a pretty good check list already. I can't stress enough about looking for soft spots, especially in ALL the corners and around the entrance door. Look carefully at the bolts that attach the lift arms to the roof. It they seem to be "sunk" or at an angle there might be some issues there ( I had to replace the side board because of water leak at the vent/fan). If the owner will let you, remove a few screws around the A/C, vent, and any other roof penetrations. If they are rusty, it might indicate a leak problem. In my area, $5000 would be a good price if in good condition. Very few come on the market around here. Good luck
2009 Flagstaff HW27SC (NTU 2014)
1999 Ford F150
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #10
Alright! I bought the camper yesterday!! Thank everyone so much for all of the helpful information!

First thing I need is a good cover for it! How do they measure the covers?

Thanks again!