Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #1

Looking to Buy in Seattle Area

Hi All -- new to this forum and to TT ownership and looking for some buying advice. I have narrowed by research to the Flagstaff HW25SC or Rockwood HW256G based on layout and features that best fit our family and am having a hard time finding one in the Seattle area to go see and look actually look at. Any advice on how to find one in your area? I have reached out to most dealers and they don't have any high wall models. For those that bought new, did you buy sight-unseen? Has anyone factory ordered theirs and if so, how long did it take and did you have to pay more? I would think it at least makes sense to view other models by Forest River before taking the leap. Any advice would be great. Also any advice on price determination and negotiation would be appreciated.

Jim
jdenike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #2

look for a Dealer in your area, http://www.clearcreekrvcenter.com/
this one is in Silverdale, Tacoma here, there are a few Dealers in Tacoma Fife area, Might find something you like there also

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #3

There's South Hill RV in Puyallup or Apache Camping center in Tacoma. I've been to both and might be doing my business with South hill over Apache. I'm a sucker for locally owned family businesses. Apache has Flagstaff while South Hill has Rockwood so I guess pick your preferred color lol.
Toyotamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #4

I ordered a new Rockwood in February, took delivery 10 days ago, used it for 2 days and now its at the dealers for repairs. The dealer told us they are not sure how long to get the parts to fix our trailer (Rockwood 2902SS). I would look at other manufacturers before purchasing a Forest River product. This is our second trailer from Forest River, and ir will be our last! We are hoping to be able to use it this summer, we will most likely sell it next spring and get something else. The quality of this trailer was poor, our 2001 shamrock was of much better quality..no problems ever and we used it about 35 days per summer.
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #5

I would have to say any dealer except Poulsbo RV, they are the absolute worst! A co worker has bought 2 FR 5ers from South Hill RV in Puyallup and also stores his rig with them. He has been very happy with their service after the sale. Sometimes finding the RV in stock to see is a very hard thing to do. As for ordering. We looked at a rig locally and tried to make a deal on it but the salesman was playing games with us so we walked off the lot. We ordered ours through RVDirect.com and had it delivered. Even paying $3300 for delivery we saved close to $17K from what the local dealer wanted and got much more options on the rig including the colors we wanted. It took approximately 10 weeks to receive our rig. I understand though that many of the FR trailers are made down in Oregon somewhere but I am not sure as to which models.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #6

Agree with that. I stopped by their Auburn location and the guy tried telling me good luck finding what I wanted in my price range. I told him I didn't need luck I know for a fact as I've seen about 15 of them on craigslist for that price. I don't fall for stupid old salesmen tricks. I got 2 good friends that are car salesmen and I know all the tactics. As in car sales, there are good sales people and A-holes who only want top dollar out of you for junk. As for forest river's quality, seems decent I inspected one closely today and while it's no Jayco, it seems pretty good for the price but I havent owned one yet so maybe your right.
Toyotamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #7

I don't know the price comparisions up there, but it was much less expensive for me to buy my unit from an Ohio (papers went back and forth via FedEx) dealer once I found the model I wanted. I saved thousands buying out of state and it was still far less expensive AFTER it was shipped to me. Additionally, the different FR factories offer different floorplans based on location. Good Luck and let us know how it goes !!

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #8

Not sure if you bought it yet, but I have an '05. It just says Forest River on it, and maybe they have changed, but the quality is very good. We are the second owners and this will be our third season. We bought it sight unseen as these are hard to come by on the east coast, but I did a bunch of research. It's a bit of a chance but we saved a bunch over new, and it was cheaper shipping it from Ohio. We also looked at the Coleman High Walls but they seem harder to come by used, and I really liked the floorplan on the FR.
wildcatwmn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tent camper