Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #41

it would be too bad if pop ups faded away. A few years ago when we decided to get back into camping (camped as kids, decades ago), we bought a fleetwood pop up to see if camping still suited us. It was a great way to get back into camping for less money and learn all the ins and outs of maintaining a trailer. After 3 years we decided we loved camping and decided to go bigger with an enclosed tt (sold the pop up for almost the same price as we bought it for), I love the tt but miss the open feel of the pop up. When it was nice out and the breeze would blow thru the pop up it couldn't be beat. Also, waking up in the morning to the sounds of nature was paradise.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #42

I wanted to buy a used Pop-Up on CL for $500 13 years ago...To get back into camping again.....My soon to be Wife said I don't think so it doesn't have a toilet...So my $500 budget swelled to $16,000 and I bought a new 2006 Fleetwood Prowler....Go figure
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #43

Just took delivery of a new 2019 Flagstaff 206STSE Pop Up.
My first camper was a pop up and after buying an AFrame and a TT, I was just not happy with them and came back to the simple way of camping.
Made the camper my retirement gift to me and I plan to use it a lot.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #44
rbq

It used to be that we could go to the RV show and there would be a huge display of folding trailers. This year it was limited to several dealers who had a few models on the floor. On the other end is a growing number of toy haulers, both bumper pull & 5th wheel. Seems families aren't happy to go out & enjoy their folding trailers, but must have all of the extra toys to occupy their budgets and their lifestyle. As a former pup owner of over 28 years I am shocked at the price for a folding trailers today. On the other hand today's PUP have many nice amenities that ours didn't have when we bought it new in 1985. When we finally gave up the PUP we still had to stay somewhat close by buying a hybrid to replace it. Still enjoy the folding bed that I can listen to the good night noises that you can't hear in a full hard side.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
It used to be that we could go to the RV show and there would be a huge display of folding trailers. This year it was limited to several dealers who had a few models on the floor. On the other end is a growing number of toy haulers, both bumper pull & 5th wheel. Seems families aren't happy to go out & enjoy their folding trailers, but must have all of the extra toys to occupy their budgets and their lifestyle. As a former pup owner of over 28 years I am shocked at the price for a folding trailers today. On the other hand today's PUP have many nice amenities that ours didn't have when we bought it new in 1985. When we finally gave up the PUP we still had to stay somewhat close by buying a hybrid to replace it. Still enjoy the folding bed that I can listen to the good night noises that you can't hear in a full hard side.
That may be true, but also there are many more smaller, lighter weight camper options now than we're available in our pop-up days back in the early 90s.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
Looks like Thor already killed off Livin' Lite which was famous for their true tent trailer (not a pop up).
After relocating and getting settled into my new retirement home, I went on the hunt for a popup camper. I lamented the cost increase since I last seriously looked at them, but eventually decided to purchase a Livin' Lite unit. Mostly because of the construction quality.

Then in my research, I learned that several years ago, they stopped making them with aluminum flooring and that turned me off. A local dealer still has some, but I didn't even want to go see them in person.

In my internet search for "lightweight tent trailers", I stumbled upon a place in Denver that rented Flagstaff popups and turned their inventory over about once a year; selling the older rental units at a decent discount.

They have two models within the weight limits I set for myself and my little Toyota RAV4 and just returned home with my new-to-me popup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1464.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	202921  
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, pop up