Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #1

Made it fit!

We just picked up our new 2017 HW296! The dealer was very thorough, and I'm glad. I've read how some have had very little orientation from the dealer. They spent nearly 2.5 hours going over every little detail, including examining my towing arrangement and hooking me up to go. Hats off to Vicars Trailer Sales in Taylor Michigan.

My concerns were these: towing with a simple hitch and a GMC Acadia. I took two freeways to get home and experienced almost no sway, but was only up to about 65-58 MPH. It tows easy and I'm relieved. I can't see over it or around it, but I guess I expected that!

Then, getting home, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to back it up the driveway or jam it into the garage. I managed both. It just clears the garage door and opener, and my wife and I muscled it sideways to make it fit. My garage is useless now, but its in! I think I'm going to buy one of those dollies mentioned in my other thread, as the little wheel felt like it would bust off when we were pushing it.

Come monday, we should be camping!
michigan_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Congrats! That's a huge sigh of relief to see that garage door close with your pup inside! We sweated our HW27KS fitting, but it did, barely.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

We have a 2016 hw 296 and pull with a Jeep grand Cherokee. Wait till you fill the camper it's all down hill on towing. And I'm very happy to have a pole barn. Camper fits with no problems.

tigger68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1469583077.247753.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	115445

tigger68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #5

Congrats- I've thoroughly enjoyed my 2016 296... I'm sure you will enjoy yours too! Go "get your camp on"

Thanks,
Chip

2016 Rockwood HW296
2011 Chev. Avalanche LTZ

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ChipBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #6

Congrats. Many happy camping trips! Put another log on the fire. 🔥

Dutchmen
Dutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #7

2015 296 here. Only thing I don't like is the fridge location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lakecumberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:58 PM   #8

Nice combo! I always loved the highwall PuP`s. when do we get to see the inside!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #9

Fridge location doesn't bother me. I decided to also buy a 52 quart Koolatron electric cooler when I got the camper so our maiden voyage was also our first time camping where we didn't need to buy ice. Very nice! Most everything about this camper has exceeded our expectations so far.
I was a Coleman snob before this, but my old coleman can't hold a candle to this. Only potential issue so far is the sag in the roof that is apparent already, even on this new unit. If it never gets any worse, maybe it's a non-issue. At this point, it just looks a little relaxed where the AC is.

Some highlights: The newer curtains are really nice. So much better than my old popups. LED lighting is much superior to previous lighting. This year, they have a new type of dome light that has a center push button that turns it on at a touch.
The LED nightlight are perfect as well. We used to bring our own, and then the nightlights would compete with other things for the few outlets.
Built in tv and dvd player means I won't have to pack one any more.

One weird thing: this is the first camper (my fourth popup) that doesn't get bugs in it all night. We have lights on after dark and still no bugs! My coleman had gaps in the canvas somewhere and was forever full of bugs.

The bag awning is the nicest I've had. Really nice. The outside stream of LED lights look cool. The power converter is much quieter than the one in my last pup, and for some reason, it doesn't run when the lights are on, only when the outside LED lights, or the fantastic fan are on. I got sick of listening to the noise from that thing on my old camper.
It tows pretty good in spite of it's size and weight. It seems more stable over bumps and rough road, probably owing to the double axle.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #10

Congrats. Also bought from vicars. They are GREAT even after 2 yrs they still know my name when o go in. Pup is a hw276. They didn't get the 296 until after I bought and was asking about it. But I love my pup. If or when I upgrade I'll be going there again.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #11

We towed ours for 2 yrs with a 2014 explorer 4x4 v6 and no wdh or sway. It swayed when over 60 but figured that. Now our TV is a 2016 ram 1500 hemi and can't even tell it's behind there
Old 08-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #12

On the bag awning make sure u tie it down gust of wind can help the poles make skylights in ur roof. The thing I don't lie about the awnings on highwalls are u alms can't roll then up if a storm is caming.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #13

Gray holding mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1471547448706.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	117719  
Old 08-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #14

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=65485
Old 08-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #15

Thanks Kinma. We still haven't used the plumbing as I have to warm up to the idea of dealing with it all. We never used it in our old popups, but this one with the bathroom makes us consider using it.
Yeah, as nice as the height and size are, they do pose some problems. We forgot to plug in the ac, and had to drag a picnic table over to do it when it got hot later!
Then, I put the awning poles in wrong and didn't realize it until after the whole thing was set up. Live and learn! You're right, it would be tough to take the awning down if a big storm came. Maybe the picnic table would come to the rescue again
Old 08-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #16

Yeah I hear you in the AC plug we still forget to plug it in every now n then. We bought a 4ft ladder that we bring now just in case. Harbor freight is a great place for the rubber gloves when doing the plumbing stuff. Check out youtube. Rv geeks have a really good video on how to do it. And other things like winterizing and sanitizing. I use a hydro flush between the pup and stinky slinky it is clear and yiu can use it to clean the hose without removing the hose. I was a swivel stick (camco) wand to clean inside the tank though the toilet. You'll need to be on a full hook site seeing the pup has to be up to clean it.