Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #1

Maiden voyage

I've been preparing for almost two weeks. It's amazing how much prep goes into a popup as opposed to conventional trailers. Well, maybe I was a nervous wreck on my maiden voyage in my 1980 Wilderness trailer (bought new) when I first took it out. Or maybe I was so young then I didn't know any better. I sure wish I had a small outside storage box, where I could stow some small, last-minute items. I made one out of plywood for my old trailer and didn't give a second thought to the extra weight to it, or the metal frame I had fabricated for it. "Ignorance is bliss" they say. I worry about everything now. Well, we'll see tomorrow when we get to our destination what we forgot or what we did wrong. I just hope I can get that contraption cranked down and all that fabric tucked in and all the other minutia that needs to be attended to.

Hope to have a photo or two when I get back, especially one taken from the door looking out!

Jim
papa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

good luck on the voyage and cant wait to see the pic !

turbs !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

I am home from my shake-down trip. Everything was beyond expectations, aside from my refrigerator, which I will put in a separate post. Trailer was a dream to tow and the campground was very good, except for the noisy "boat people" but I expected them and so, was not disappointed. My bed was very comfortable, and I am anxious to head to my next destination which will be on the California coast. It will be quieter and cooler, which will be nice. I was not happy with my "front door" photos, but I'll probably post one just because I said I would. I did get some "stellar" night shots that just made the whole trip worthwhile. When I figure out how to share some images, I will share one of my night shots. I thought I could attach one to this message but I was wrong!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
TeresaInCAL

Hey, you were practically in my back yard! We live 15 minutes from Hogan! Funny enough, we were at Cammanche this weekend with our inlaws. Also 15 minutes away.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #5

Teresa, yeah, we went right by both entrances of Camanche. I haven't been there in many years. Does Camanche have more shade than New Hogan, or do you ever go there? We were lucky and found a "fairly" shady site. It was quite noisy. I like the fact that NH is federally operated and they honor the Golden Age Passport, which, for me, next year means it will cost $10/night.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
TeresaInCAL

We don't camp @ Hogan for a few reasons.
1. It's too hot in the summer.
2. It's crowded.
3. Last I heard, about a month ago, they had closed the water for swimming because of high bacteria. People were getting rashes from the water. My guess is because the water is low, but the geese pollute the shore/water.
4. LEECHES have been found in the water. Not sure on the details, but heard this from a friend who is very active in the community, and knows what's going on. I suspect the migrating birds (geese?) may have brought them. I don't know how else they would have gotten there. Cammanche may have them too, but since its a bigger, water-wise, they haven't shown up...to my knowledge.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
TeresaInCAL

Our spot @ Cammanche did not have much shade. They have planted a lot of trees, but they're still small. We were in the full hook up area. The spots were paved, and pretty flat, easy for leveling. Spots were long enough so we did not have to unhook the truck. Decent amount of space between sites, but there was no one on either side of us, so if the campground was full, I might feel different. There were really nice, cemented fire rings. Cost was 45.00 per night. Not cheap.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #8

Thanks for the report. NH was $20, and I don't think they have hookups. Since we were on a shakedown trip, we wanted to test out all the systems, so I didn't want hookups. Going to go to Henry Cowell State Park in Santa Cruz next month. I'll bet we'll be testing our heater on that trip!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
TeresaInCAL

I'll be interested in hearing how that goes, I was looking at that area. We ended up at Smithwoods, which I thought was nice, but a little "KOA" for my taste. There is a pool, movie night, basketball hoops, cantina, etc. was close to Santa Cruz, so it worked.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
TeresaInCAL

One thing I like about Hogan is that you can empty the septic there for 5 or 6 dollars. Nice if you're camping in the hills, and need a place to dump.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #11

Been to Smithwoods once. It is exactly as you've describe it. I've been to Henry Cowell many times. It's one of the most pristine campgrounds you could go to. Just a few miles from Santa Cruz, but out in the lush redwoods. Last time I was there, there was a ban on alcohol, which was good, because the locals used to go out there and party, and also some of the campers would get a bit rambunctious. If you keep your beverages in your TT there isn't a problem. They enforce a strict "quiet time" which was missing at NH.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #12

Teresa, wanted to let you know that I've changed my mind about Henry Cowell. I read the recent reviews (I haven't been there in 8 years) and they were horrible. I think you may have read the same ones. I've got reservations near Pescadero, at San Mateo County Park Memorial Campground later this month. Looks just as nice with much better reviews. Here's a link: San Mateo County Department of Parks Online Reservations 30 miles north of Santa Cruz. I'll give you a report.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_jim View Post
Teresa, wanted to let you know that I've changed my mind about Henry Cowell. I read the recent reviews (I haven't been there in 8 years) and they were horrible. I think you may have read the same ones. I've got reservations near Pescadero, at San Mateo County Park Memorial Campground later this month. Looks just as nice with much better reviews. Here's a link: San Mateo County Department of Parks Online Reservations 30 miles north of Santa Cruz. I'll give you a report.
That campground looks nice.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
TeresaInCAL

Oh, so HC has gone downhill huh? That's too bad. We've never been there. What didn't you like?

Yes, please do give a report of SM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #15

You can read these reviews, and if they don't scare you away, you're a braver camper than I am! Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park - Felton, CA
Old 10-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_jim View Post
You can read these reviews, and if they don't scare you away, you're a braver camper than I am! Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park - Felton, CA

I sorted it by date and the reviews didn't seem alarming. Of course I only read one page of the reviews. Now if I were younger and wanted to have a bit of night life I might feel differently.

Will read the other pages tomorrow as I need to call it a night.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #17
TeresaInCAL

Yes, it sounds like another place that is a little too "KOA". I like quiet, and to at least feel like I'm out in nature a bit.
If I had little kids, I'd probably feel different. I'm no alcoholic, but I enjoy a margarita, or glass of wine from time to time. :0)