Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #21
Canadian Member

If one of your vents has the high volume Create-A-Breeze type fan, I recommend you don't put a Camco cover over it. The Camco is fine for a vent without a fan.
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #22

WHY? What would be the problem? I do have the Create-a-breeze fan

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #23

I believe the Camco severely restricts the airflow on a powered fan, that's what I have read and understand....if it will even fit

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #24
Canadian Member

Have a look at this video to see the effect of a cover that's not intended for the high volume fans.

I don't know if it would be detrimental to the fan but it definitely affects the volume of air that it moves.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #25

Just called the local RV shop. Here's the reason they suggest the Maxxair Fan Mate over the Maxxair II or the Camco. It's the design of the louvers and their location. Not the opening size, since they are almost the same between a Fan Mate and the Camco, and the Maxxair II has more opened space for airflow.
The air inlet; louvers on the Fan Mate are almost horizontal vs. vertical; less likely for any water to enter.
However, he said they have installed Camco covers at a customers request on fantastic fans and they have worked ok and only a few complaints.

Thanks...video is very interesting.

BUT...Looking at the Ultra breeze, it might not even work on my Fan-Tastic fan. I don't have the perimeter bolts required to install it. I guess I have what is called a clamp style mount for the fan.
Just wrote the company to see if there are alternative mounting brackets for the Ultra breeze.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 03-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #26

I had the Camco vent covers on my last trailer. The vent would only open about 3/4 of the way as others have said but my fan still worked fine. They are great for the price and were easy to install.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #27
Canadian Member

In the video, the first cover is the standard Camco, the second is a MaxxAir II. I don't know what the third and fourth are. I would think the fan in the video is running at its maximum speed, so at lower speeds the MaxxAir II might be OK. But I definitely wouldn't use the standard Camco cover on a high volume fan. On my previous HTT, I had a Camco on the vent that didn't have a fan. For that application, it's fine.

These higher end covers are attempting to balance larger openings for air flow with preventing water (rain) penetration.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Have used a std MaxxAir cover on our power vent in the bathroom for 3 yrs with no problem. The vent lid will not open all the way, but will raise far enough to let the fan work just fine.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #29

After watching the video, the units made for powered vents are clearly the way to go. If I spent that much money on the fan, it seems stupid to kill the air flow trying to cheap out on the cover.
cousin_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #30

I agree; if it can be mounted without drilling into the roof.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #31

Question for Cousin Eddie

Hi there, reading your post about your new camper. We purchased a 2015 2514g and will be picking it up sometime next month. Just wondering how you like it so far....towing.......ease of set up...space etc? With the nice weather we have had here in MN lately, I am getting very itchy to camp.
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #32

Just installed (2) Fantastic Vent covers. Went with Fantastic Fan Black vent covers to match the one that came with my Windjammer. Way too easy to install. I was able to tell where the 2nd from front and 2nd from back screws were under the lap sealant. Just worked a screw drive through the lap sealant and removed the screws. Filled the holes with lap sealant, coated the new screws with lap sealant and installed them back in the holes with the brackets. Coated the screw heads with lap sealant. Spent less than 10 minutes on installing both of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0520.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	71960  

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #33

Started this project on Monday, finished last night. Installed a Fantastic vent cover over the Fantastic vent. If you have the clamp style fantastic vent, email or call them and they will send out the instructions, which are extremely easy. Just some measurements and drill four holes into the vent trim, and install four screws, then the cover.

The Maxxair, I can see is not usually a problem, but being the location of the vent in regard to the top of the roof, makes it a little difficult, but the biggest problem was the plastic vent cover that cover the vent from the factory, it snapped into two pieces when raising for the Maxxair install. Seems those covers don't like UV, and after 2.5 years in Moab, the sun did a job on it. (So. might want to do a check of yours if over a few years old and has been subjected to some high UV rays.)

So, with the roof down and trailer all locked up, I was able to install the fantastic vent cover, then when I started on the other vent cover, I was able to raise the cover up from stretching and reaching inside to turn the handle. It went up about half way, and they I heard the cracking sound of plastic.

So back outside on the ladder and it was broken in to and when taking hold pieces started to just break off. A quick trip to the RV place up the street, and a new cover is in my hands. But getting late, so I left it for another day.

Next day, I found out that you have to raise the roof, and completely disassemble the vent from inside, to remove the arm that the cover's metal channel slides on. So up goes the roof; disassemble the vent, the lower the roof so I can gain access to the roof.

(I was not sure if I should lay the top of a ladder against the top of the raised roof; the lateral force might not have been good for the posts...not sure.)

So, once back on top, it took a minute or two to figure out how to install a new cover. Won't go into detail, but it was fun. Then once it was installed. I installed the Maxxair, which for the right side of the trailer, the hinge side, was a bit of a stretch too. But the clip side (left) was easy and quick.

Then raise everything up and install the rest of the vent parts such as the tighten the arm controller bolts, the screen and the frame; then lower it again.

But now, if I run into a rainy day like I did last year in MT, I can have some air circulating through the trailer without raindrops falling on my head. Maybe now, it will never rain where and when I camp.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #34

F5moab. I have a hw276 and the dealer installed a fan tastic ultra breeze cover and after we got home we opened the pup and checked the fan but it will not open. Wondering if they did something wrong or if it has clamp style.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #35

The clamp style is how the fantastic vent attaches to a roof. It appears most popups have the clamp style, whereas larger TTs have a mount installed with screws around the perimeter and screwed into the horizontal frame.

To install on a vent with the perimeter screws, all you have to do is removed two screws from each side and install four brackets; then the cover.

For the clamp style, Fantastic Fan sends out some very detailed instructions that give you a measurement from the front and rear vertical perimeter and then you drill four small holes, install the brackets and screws that come with the cover and then install the cover to the brackets. If installed incorrectly, someone has a problem reading.

Have you ever opened the fantastic vent before? They do tend to stick if closed for a while; probably due to the seal. Have to ask...sorry....did you make sure it is unlocked?

You can also remove the rear cover to the vent, where a filter can be installed. There is a push pin retainer at the bottom side of the cover; remove those and the cover pops out. You can then look inside and feel around to see how much clearance is between the vent cover and the top of the vent.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #36

Yes I opened it last yr before storing for winter. Lol yes it's unlocked. Same question I asked the DW she was so offended but you do have to ask. Do you know if you can install the one with brackets on a pup that has clamps? Maybe the dealer installed wrong?
Old 05-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #37

Not sure if the other style fan can in installed on a popup. But if it does not open, the dealer must have installed it incorrectly.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #38

That's what I'm thinking bur didn't know you could install it wrong. Hopefully just the seal is stuck.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #39

I just look inside through the back screen cover and it appears there is about 1" of clearance around the top cover and vent on the sides and front. More clearance toward the rear.
I would take a photo, but I took the look when going out to install my springs and the moment I installed the three bolts, it started to pour.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #40

Thanks I'll try n look when we take it down

Tags
cover, vent