Old 09-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
New Tent Trailer Camper
Mid - Life Overhaul?

We are beginning to think about off season maintenance for our 2007 HW, and would appreciate your ideas on how to best proceed. We bought this tent camper used last year and have no insight to prior owner issues or maintenance, or maybe these are common problems?

1. When setting up last time, we noticed a weak seam in the canvas above a slide out bed where the metal support bar pushes and lifts the canvas into position above the bed. Upon closer inspection the thread used to sew the seam was weak and began to fall apart. What is the best way to re-sew this seam? Is this a DIY job, or best left to a pro?

2. We have began to notice several soft/squishy spots on the floor beneath the fake wood linoleum floor. The soft spots are most noticeable rear the exterior door, and in front of the sink. My guess is the plywood subfloor is beginning to rot, but I haven't fully investigated just yet. Any ideas what all is involved in replacing the subfloor of my pop up ?

TXRI-Tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Hello TXRI,

I think the seams are something you could easily do yourself. The holes should already be there to just line up and push new thread thru with a needle. They also sell canvas needles that you could pick up to help as well.

The subfloor is your biggest problem. This could be a fatal problem for you. It is very, very expensive to replace a subfloor in a camper. This is because the entire camper is constructed on top of the subfloor and vinyl. One has to de-construct the pop up to fix it.

At a minimum, you can cut out the bad wood and then replace it but you need to replace a sufficient section that will span the gap between the frame supports underneath. Another problem is the vinyl will not match if you only do a section.

One can perform a simple overlay where you would simply put down fresh plywood over the vinyl. You then need to adjust the bottom cabinet doors to allow clearance. The fridge often times is a particular problem.

Obviously you need to fix the leak you have before you replace the floor.

Good luck,

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
For the floor you could do a wood floor which would be thinner than plywood and vinyl. But I agree with vin you need to identify your leak first. Could be an inside leak as well. Plumbing connection loose and the water going under the vinyl.
papasmurff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
I helped a friend with a similar problem and it was a hard one to find but did trace it to under the sink under the cabinet just a very small leak. We repaired leak then took 1/16 th aluminium sheet and spand the soft spot, then laid a prefinished floor over the entire camper. Actuallyturned out to look really good.
papasmurff1 is offline   Reply With Quote