Old 05-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Mouse damage prevention

What are the best methods folks have found to prevent rodent damage.

I've heard dryer sheets, mothballs...

Do you leave the prevention in place all year, or only when closed up for winter?

Old 05-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #2

We have had our TT for 6 years now and we store it in a pole barn with a dirt floor. We put bounce dryer sheets all over when we store it. We have not had any sign of a mouse yet. We pick up most of the sheets in the spring but leave some where there not easily noticed. Plus it leaves a pleasant smell inside.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #3

The best preventative is to plug all the holes where they can get in! I looked at where my plumbing, water connections and vent stacks entered into the trailer. Many of the holes are very large and would allow rodents to enter. Ive cut wood pieces to seal the holes as closely as possible, then I sealed any gaps with construction adhesive. Mice can actually chew through expandable foam, but they won't eat construction adhesive. An exterminator taught me that trick.

Cheers
Old 05-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser2eh View Post
The best preventative is to plug all the holes where they can get in! I looked at where my plumbing, water connections and vent stacks entered into the trailer. Many of the holes are very large and would allow rodents to enter. Ive cut wood pieces to seal the holes as closely as possible, then I sealed any gaps with construction adhesive. Mice can actually chew through expandable foam, but they won't eat construction adhesive. An exterminator taught me that trick.

Cheers
Word!

If you think bounce sheets will keep mice out, think again. Here's one in our old trailer, two years ago. The big pieces are whole cloves. Note the urine stain and droppings on the Bounce sheet.

Plugging the holes is the only sure way. We spent a day on it, plugging with pieces of brass scouring pad and sealing with Pestblock expanding foam. We also replaced our "mouse hole" shore power port with a Marinco Parkpower twistlock system.

No mice from then until we sold the trailer a few weeks ago.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

I was actually looking at some trapdoor boxes as one of our camping spots is know to have those little critters making themselves at home in your place. I think a pack of three was ten bucks on amazon

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #6

We use the tomcat rodent station,disposable,w/blocks product over winter. This past winter we had a guest for a very short time, until they found the station. We put fresh stations in now.

A neighbor said that they had nests over winter. That cannot be good.

Next year I will leave stations outside, under the trailer.

Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:15 PM   #7

At the end of the season we detail the inside. Then we tape every opening 3x. Then we put dryer sheets, peppermint oil and fresh cab inside. The combination seems to work as our tomcat traps pull 2-3 mice out of the garage a month.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD and Beastlet View Post
Word!

If you think bounce sheets will keep mice out, think again. Here's one in our old trailer, two years ago. The big pieces are whole cloves. Note the urine stain and droppings on the Bounce sheet.

Plugging the holes is the only sure way. We spent a day on it, plugging with pieces of brass scouring pad and sealing with Pestblock expanding foam. We also replaced our "mouse hole" shore power port with a Marinco Parkpower twistlock system.

No mice from then until we sold the trailer a few weeks ago.
They must have been litter box trained rodents.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:26 AM   #9

We had steel wool in openings, we had traps inside, we had expanding foam to seal all visible holes and guess what? Our entire undercarriage insulation was a mouse next/litter box.

The mice came thru the propane heater, down into the ducting, and from the ducting to the undercarriage area.

I have never been so compleltly covered in mouse feces. We spent 2 days removing insulation, cleaning and disinfecting to eliminate the smell, and installing new insulation.

Our cleaning mixture: 2 cups of bleach added wtih 2 cups of Odoban added to a chemical sprayer. Worked great and smells good too.

I hate mice and I wonder if I should release some "stray" cats into my storage unit area.

Tags
vent