Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #1

Mud Flaps?

Has anyone considered putting mud flaps on a pop up with an exposed wood floor? Other RV's have corrugated plastic protection many times. But many pop ups have exposed wood which needs to stay uncoated so it can breath and dry out.

I am thinking that adding mud flaps could be a good idea. I am not a big fan of having the bare exposed OSB flooring exposed to all the road spray when pulling in a rain storm.

Granted the water is going to get up there but will the mud flaps not cut down the amount of water hitting the floor? I would seem as it stands now I would get a pretty constant stream of spray directly onto the wood.

Possibly this cut to size? I need a 14"W x 13" H size.

http://www.raneystruckparts.com/anti...ced-mud-flaps/

Any thoughts on this? Comments?

Thanks,

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

Probably won't hurt, but I have taken my popup up and down some nasty ledges and down many gravel roads and yet, underneath it looks pretty good. And that is with all terrain tires I have installed. ST tires appears to have little tread to pickup much debris to thrown up when traveling.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #3

It was more the water I was thinking about than mud and debris. I just know that water kills an RV if the floor begins to rot. It is almost unfixable and can cost more than the RV is worth to take apart and put back together on a new floor.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #4

Sounds like you are convinced to add mud flaps!

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 04-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Team

I don't think they can hurt either. Here in the southeast we do get some pretty heavy rains that have water flying up off the road every direction as vehicles drive by...

If I was going to install them I'd go with smaller, lighter automotive flaps. You only need for the flap to be a little wider than the tire to block most of the spray. The water channels in the tire grooves are what should be directing most of the water to the rear of the trailer. The trick will be hanging them low enough to be effective. Maybe some stainless steel L-shaped brackets from Home Despot would work.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #6

I certainly am not implying they will hurt. Just saying that short of shrink wrapping a trailer natural elements are damaging in the long run. But is this a big problem (water splashing up under a trailer)?

Old 04-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

FYI.... mudflaps.com give it a try
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

I guess I'm confused, how do you determine how much water is too much for the bottom side of the trailer? I always thought wet is wet and it didn't matter whether the flaps kept the water off directly behind the tire or diverted it to the center of the trailer bed. They certainly are not going to eliminate any water.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I guess I'm confused, how do you determine how much water is too much for the bottom side of the trailer? I always thought wet is wet and it didn't matter whether the flaps kept the water off directly behind the tire or diverted it to the center of the trailer bed. They certainly are not going to eliminate any water.
You are correct it will all be wet anyway. But there are different degrees of wet...as in from damp to soaking wet. Stopping the heavy "rooster tail" spray some tires create from constantly hitting a relatively small area might be beneficial. Especially when you consider all the dripped petroleum products being washed off the road when it first starts raining. How beneficial is the question I have... But since this would be around a $30 mod the cost / benefit factor isn't a big deal. I even found the style flaps I'd use!

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #10

Yes. Wet vs muddy soaking is what I was thinking is the difference that a mud flap could make. I absolutely get your reasoning about wet is wet. While driving for hours in a downpour will most likely throw lots of water on the underside of the pop up, maybe mud flaps could work for those times during a light rain when the road is wet and on is primarily dealing with tire spray.

I will check out that website as the 1/2 inch thick truck flaps might be a bit stiff and hard to cut down.

That being said. I cannot recall EVER seeing mud flaps on trailers. I have seen them on large Class A motorhomes.

Great comments everyone.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 04-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #11

I added them to my MAC 208. Not really for the water on the bottom of the camper, but more the road grime that covered the rear stabilizers after a few trips. This helped a lot in keeping that off of them.

I purchased the mud flaps on Amazon, cut them to the right height, and then bolted them to the frame. What you can see here is the ends of the three bolts with ny-lok nuts on them (stainless hardware). Between the frame Channel section is a piece of pressure treated wood to use as blocking and the mud flap.

You can see a photo here at my blog:

The Schaffer's RV Trip Log: Finally! Spring is here!

Otherwise, the photo is huge on this site for some reason.
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #12

I like it Schaffer. Why the wood blocking? There should have been a metal cross beam that you could screw to. I plan on using an aluminum strip on the flap so that the screws do not pull thru or maybe just large washers.

I like your size mud flap also. I think I will check amazon.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 04-29-2015, 08:26 PM   #13

There is a metal cross beam, but it is shaped like a "C" with the solid side towards the wheel. I used the blocking to fill that in so when I fastened the bolts it let the mud flap tighten securely without dimpling it or bending it into the "C".

Here are the mud flaps I used from Amazon. Check the width to see what ones fit where your frame space is.
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #14

Yes. Your right. That cross beam is the same on mine as well. I was going to take off the wheel and screw it to the flat side. Now I understand what you did. thanks.

lol. This is what I found and added to my cart.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Same size.

Thank you so much for your help.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#