Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Trailer Trash
My tent trailer camping as a kid

Spending all my time here on FRF over in the 5th wheel area. You guys over here in the tent trailer forum will get a kick out of this.............

As a kid, our family had this for a tow vehicle 1968 Olds Delmont 88. Fast car, full heavy duty frames back then. Plenty of power and brakes for towing a tent trailer.

The RV was a Bethany popup tent trailer with only 1 slide out. Dad bought an add on kit and installed it himself as we needed more room as family grew. Yup an old school salmon colored rig. Early 60's is my guess.

No electric cord. Just 12 volt battery and 1 propane tank for heat and oven. Might of had a fridge but I doubt it.

Anyway, see those stabilizer legs that pop down in the back.....Dad took the ol Bethany off of the car hitch AND forgot to put the stabilzer legs down. You know the stress of family vacation with kids. Well mom has the table set, dinner cooking on the stove, and then all hell broke loose. Us kids decided we should ALL try out the new slide out on the rear side of the trailer. Too much weight and the poor Bethany popped a wheelie. Stuff went flying everywere including hot liquids on the stove.

Dad said that's it, you kids are too big and old for tent trailer camping. We are selling the trailer when we get back home. Mom said......wait for it, wait for it........Did somebody forget to put the stabilizer legs down? Now you get to help me clean up the mess. You kids go outside and

True story and that was the end of my RV camping!!!

joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Very Jive Man. Far Out! story!

2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Campin With Grammy & Papa
I started my camping in early life in my uncles tent camper. Dad would borrow it every year. That is what got me in love with tent campers. When we started our family my wife and I bought a tent camper. Used it for 26 years and then gave it to our oldest who has three kids of her own and bought a new one for us. Tent campers have shared many special moments in our lives. Thanks for reminding us. Scott
Scott n Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Rod Johnsons Co Pilot
My family started out tent trailer camping. We loved it. My mom would try so hard for me to go pee in the bushes and I wouldnt only to return home and start peeing in the bushes. We sold our first one bought another and used it as a spare room when guests visited. then my dad bought another and we used it all the time. Then he decided it was time for a 5th wheel and a new truck, that lasted a year till he bought a RV.
Traci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
phat phrog stunt crew
we car camped for many years, and had easily the most recognizable tent in the campground. it was made by moss, and looked like a huge saddle. sorry, no pics to post as they seem to be lost to time, but if i can find something similar i will.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
This may be of some interest to you. BTW - nice restoration. Did you do it?
Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Trailer Trash
just google pics from internet. No restoration.

joelek is offline   Reply With Quote